2007 Transmission Fluid Level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jettyspicer

Reaction score
In my 2007 Liberty Sport there is no dip stick. I bought a Dorman 914-327 to check on the levels of the transmission. About a month ago, I had the transmission flushed and a new filter installed. My local mechanic said he didn't have a dip stick to check the level but would put in the amount required by Jeep.
Today I went to mark my Dorman dipstick for future reference. Cold, without the engine running, the fluid level was on the 65 mark(0-120 scale) which was about half full. Cold, but idleing, no fluid was showing at all. Hot and running, after driving about 10 miles, there was still no fluid showing on the dipstick.
I took it back to the mechanic and he said it would only read with the engine cold and not running and the readings I was getting was correct.
This goes against everything that I was taught about how to check transmission fluid levels. Someone let me know if this is correct or not.

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To my understanding you need to check fluid levels when it's hot and engine running to get an accurate reading. Do you have the CRD or the 3.7 v6

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Soloshot55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He is unbelievably wrong and you can seriously damage your transmission. Your dipstick will read different levels at different temperatures. That is why you need the appropriate dipstick, temperature chart, and OBD2 scanner to see what's the transmission temperature at while at hot idle.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Soloshot55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For example. At 180 degrees you should have around 47mm of fluid. No less than 38 and no more than 52

Soloshot55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go:

You must be registered for see images attach

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's an awesome chart. Thanks for posting that.

And usually it should be up to full temp, which for the trans, 10 miles should take it to normal temp.

jettyspicer

Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick responses. I also found that chart online and I believe a copy came with the Dorman 914-327 dipstick. I also knew that my mechanic was wrong. Another question: what would be the normal operating temperature of the transmission after driving 10 miles and can I assume that the markings on the Dorman dipstick are MM's ? Also is ATF 4 the right fluid?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ATF+4 is right, and temp wise you should be in the 220 range for normal usage.

Not sure on the dipstick, I'd measure it out if you could just to double check the markings.

Soloshot55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it should be MM

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the dorman dipstick, I do have a similar one to read the nag1 transmission, there should be a cold and hot running in park readings. I topped it off with atf 4 at the bottom of the cold range then topped it off again after about 12 miles of driving.

Depending how he did the flush you could be a quart or two low.
When you drop the pan for a filter change its easier to follow the manufacturer recommended refill, flushing some try to get away with replacing what was pumped out, that can work depending on if it was full to start with and if there's air. It can also be a pain reading fresh fluid.

My complaint with a similar dipstick is it had a plastic reader on a bendable metal body, both could flex giving a false measurement. What I did was get a feel for when it first hit the pan and mark it off, also asked around to find out what the usual distance was for my jeep to make sure my marks were correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I do is with the engine "cold" use the dorman dipstick in my 2007 and check to see that I have at least the 20mm (80 degrees F) with the engine running, maybe a bit higher where I made my mark. That's usually good enough for my purposes. If you want to do a "hot" reading I guess you can get one of those infrared thermometers. But if you're getting no reading when its running than its way too low, it needs atf +4 before you drive it anymore.

Last edited:

Soloshot55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A IR thermometer is not accurate when measuring fluid temperature. You really need an OB2 scanner tool

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since you have the 42rle.
Here's a free program. No need for an expensive tool

[YT]8ZrLmeXtnvs[/YT]

[YT]VkV3i33ccdk[/YT]

mkarns02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a transmission dipstick for an '06 Liberty and replaced the rubber plug.

I check the fluid level when the engine is warmed up and running.

Is there any reason for not doing this?

jettyspicer

Reaction score
I added 1 quart of ATF +4 today and that brought it up to 40 MM on the Dorman dipstick with the engine hot. The dipstick is really difficult to read as the fluid splashes all over it with the engine running.
I saw a thread somewhere on the web that a dipstick from a 2006 Liberty would work in a 2007. Anyone know anything about this. The part # for a 2006 is 53013592AC.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It should, nothing changed that would change the dipstick or tube that I know of.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
up to you.
There are obd2 readers with bluetooth, wifi, etc...
might want to see what the creator recommends.
too bad it doesn't work for the 45rfe

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added 1 quart of ATF +4 today and that brought it up to 40 MM on the Dorman dipstick with the engine hot. The dipstick is really difficult to read as the fluid splashes all over it with the engine running.
I saw a thread somewhere on the web that a dipstick from a 2006 Liberty would work in a 2007. Anyone know anything about this. The part # for a 2006 is 53013592AC.

They changed the fluid fill specs for '07+ and the tube on a '07+ is shorter then a '05/'06.

It will not read correctly.

mkarns02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dipstick

The '06 dipstick I put in my '07 read exactly the same as when the dealer checked the level of fluid.....

Just saying.....

:emotions34:

Latest posts

Members online