Changing ****** fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chef0069

Reaction score
If this is an old subject, forgive me. Bought my 2007 with 34000, now it has 39000, don't think the ****** fluid has been changed(can't check it, no dipstick) Manual says change it, some mecanics say leave the ****** alone, what do you all say, please? Thanks

bjs2063

Reaction score
why can't you just change it yourself? use the oil dipstick to check the level of the transmission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
x3 as above. Change it.
I only let the dealer do work on transmission. They are familiar with each model and have the correct ATF+4 & flush machine and know the internals,filter,o-ring seals and sump pump etc.
Computer to program a re-learn when new fluid installed as well.
Yes it is more expensive to have the dealer do the work but they guarantee the work, and if you have warranty, they will know that they serviced it, should problems develop.
I will service the transmission every 30k miles, to guarantee longer transmission life, with fresh fluid and know the friction modifiers in the fluid are up to speed.
I think it was Troy that mentioned if you get transmission light (hot) the fluid has begun to break down form the heat and a good idea to change it then as well.
A "HAPPY" Jeep is well loved & Maintained by the owner, with clean oil,fresh fluids,GL5 Lube,filters & Hoat coolant, with frequent cleaning, flushing,inspections & service.
Should I describe a sad "Unhappy Jeep" ?

Last edited:

DirtyKK

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
What's different between transmissions that the old dipstick and tube won't work?

Neal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can the fill level be different after 06, aren't the trans the same? I thot some have put in earlier dipsticks with no problem.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard that you should get your transmission fliud changed every 30k to be safe. I think It's bull that in the 07 +'s there is no dipstick to check your fluid level. I'm lucky to have an 06.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On 07 and up the trans tube is not the same its made to be used with a temp dip stick and a sealed cap on the end .
The trans fluid is checked when the trans is at temp if temp is to hi fluid is flushed and changed or repairs are made. There is a temp chart that you use when checking the fluid. You can buy a temp gun and a dip stick to do it yourself but there not cheep most dip sticks come with a chart.
That said Long Tall texan (pm him) has made a end cap to use a 06 dip stick and it works vary well but make darn sure the trans is at full temp and not over temp or under temp when checking.
Over temp is a sign of fluid brake down like Tjkj has said many times.
So botom line take it to a good dealer a good dealer will check it for free but it will take a long time to do it correctly and they will check it many times as the temp changes. FYI the dealer will most likely want to flush and refill if you have any type of milage as the trans will start to run hotter from fluid brake down and this is why you will have no dip stick. Just go have it changed and checked at a good dealer and it will be done correct like Tjkj first said

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, what is really recommended? Fluid flush with filter change or just a filter change and add more fluid?

I've read to many horror stories with the fluid flush in a trans.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, what is really recommended? Fluid flush with filter change or just a filter change and add more fluid?

I've read to many horror stories with the fluid flush in a trans.
If you do the flushes often there is no harm,it's those 150,000 mile ******'s that have the issues.It's also not the flush that is a fault it it the 100% brand new fluid(all of it not 1/3 of total amount) that is a fault for those failures you hear about.The new fluid cleans all the crap out and the trans fail,basically they all had a underlying problem and the new fluid just made it come out.

I have my trans flushed every 15k and the filters get changed every 30k and zero issues and cheap insurance.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like we need a when to forum to go with the how to forum
If it was me or I was not the first owner I would do a flush and filter change. But for sure do a flush and get new fluid in it. If you got the $ do the flush and filter change as it will not be cheap.

warp2diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the'07 have a rubber plug in the spot where the dipstick went on the '06 and earlier?
Glad I have an '06 CRD/545RFE with a SunCoast, Transgo, and extra deep PML pan intended to be used on the 68RFE.
Of course, I use ATF+4.

warp2diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and with about 4" or so of the tube cutoff also.

If you have a dealer who is reputable and puts the trans fluid at the proper level, you could put an extension tube with dipstick onto the 4" stub. Then drive the Jeep for a stretch, pull out the dipstick with the engine running and mark the dipstick. Been there done that, not rocket science.
Just put a tag on the dipstick tube stating that, Adding any transmission fluid other than ATF+4 will cause an uncontrolled transmission explosion". Little dramatic statement, but true.

I used to make good money fixing DIY oil changes on Toyota Tercells. They would drain the transmission, add 4 quarts of oil to the engine. The engine would have no power and the transmission would go no where with out fluid. :happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175:

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do the flushes often there is no harm,it's those 150,000 mile ******'s that have the issues.It's also not the flush that is a fault it it the 100% brand new fluid(all of it not 1/3 of total amount) that is a fault for those failures you hear about.The new fluid cleans all the crap out and the trans fail,basically they all had a underlying problem and the new fluid just made it come out.

I have my trans flushed every 15k and the filters get changed every 30k and zero issues and cheap insurance.
What about the first one being done at 50K?