Changing coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm changing out water pump, thermostat, hoses today. There is a plug at the top coolant outlet that says "coolant bleed". What do I do wid dat?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open while running to let trapped air bubble out.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unscrew it out to fill w/ coolant.
Fill that first before the overflow tank.
When running, have it crack loose a little until you either see bubbles or liquid seep out.
If it's liquid, then you've bled the air out.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea mine was in there pretty good i had to use and 8 mm hex key socket. I had tried with just the key and tapped it with a hammer wouldnt budge so i dug around and found my hex key sockets. That worked no problem.

Road_Runna

Reaction score
unscrew it out to fill w/ coolant.
Fill that first before the overflow tank.
When running, have it crack loose a little until you either see bubbles or liquid seep out.
If it's liquid, then you've bled the air out.
I agree, once that thermst is installed its in a closed position, only real way to get coolant in the rad is through the air screw.

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well crap! Tried the hex socket and it just wallowed it out more. I'm going to try to run it for a bit with the tank cap off. If that don't work I guess after it cools down I'll loosen up the upper radiator hose clamp and see if I can bleed it out that way.

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well out there trying to tap that plug around with a chisel. Didn't think it'd work and it didn't. Moot now anyway. Just noticed a hairline crack in the plastic part of the radiator, right on the top. Fix for that?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New radiator. I'd replace the water outlet as well, they ain't all that expensive.

Bob

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well out there trying to tap that plug around with a chisel. Didn't think it'd work and it didn't. Moot now anyway. Just noticed a hairline crack in the plastic part of the radiator, right on the top. Fix for that?

I tried that last month put some special epoxy on there help up a little while(a week) caused it to crack more.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and for the bleeder its an 8mm it barely fit in there. It fit so tight most people would think it was too big. If you muffed it up already thats tough. If you loosen the upper radiator hose it will spray from the pressure. Trust me i did it even with the engine off and cooled for almost an hour its pressurized it will spray.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think unscrewing the overflow cap first before removing the hoses might help alleviate the pressure.

Ha ha yea i wasnt using my noggin at the time. i wasnt trying to remove it or anything just had an 1/8th of and inch where it wasnt all the way on. So i just wanted to loosen the hose clamp and slide it forward. Little to say right when i loosened it it sprayed.

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I never did get that plug out. Liquid wrench. CLP. Heat. Just rounded it out more. Tried the variety of bleeding/burping methods suggested. To no avail. U can drive it for an hour, upper hose hot as hell and firm. Temp gauge gets to halfway mark and stops. Lower hose still cool. Coolant in tank don't drop. Suspecting defucktive thermostat. Going to pull it out and drop it in boiling water. If it don't open, replace it. If it does, I guess I have to drill and easy out the plug. If it don't act like it wants to come out still, the only option I can think of is one of those "thread repair" kits. I think they used to call them "helicoil". Really DONT want to crack that timing chain cover. Priced those in excess of 300$. Thoughts?