Changed Diff Fluid and Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
DIFFERENTIAL SERVICE
5 LUBE 80W140 = 63.20
1 82300234 SEALER = 9.35
1 CLEANER - THROTTLE BODY = 4.70
2 LUBERICANT = 17.00
NON MOTOR OIL DISPOSAL =1.75
LABOR = 100.00 ................................
TOTAL: 196.00

you can probably negotiate your way into $300 if you get both done.
I think $150 is worth if you are not handy enough.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Changing the diff oils is one of the easiest things that can be done to a Jeep....and what a familiar site. The only thing that ***** is...gear oil smells like CRAP!!! It's right up there with the smell of ATF!!!

Yeah it's terrable, smells like puke to me....especially if it's old and broken down, or has an lsd additive in it...I think it's even worse than ATF.

As far as having the dealer do it....$300 is super high to me....I had my diffs AND transfer case done over the winter, because it was winter and I don't have a garage where I live...paid $160 for all three, I was in for inspection and decided to get it done while I was there for that...still much more than I could've done it myself for, but like I said, couldnt really do it at the time.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
hyedipin said:
was it easy to remove after you unbolt it? I want to open it and see what the hell is so loose, it feels like they used one size smaller gear for the differential, the teeth doesn't line up properly, and keeps banging.. jeeezzz...

Thats the slack in your slip yoke coming out of the tcase.

how do I fix it?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
jeepjeepster said:
hyedipin said:
was it easy to remove after you unbolt it? I want to open it and see what the hell is so loose, it feels like they used one size smaller gear for the differential, the teeth doesn't line up properly, and keeps banging.. jeeezzz...

how do I fix it?
You can't. It's a Jeep thing.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
hyedipin said:
jeepjeepster said:
hyedipin said:

how do I fix it?

You can't. It's a Jeep thing.

It is way too loud on my kj. Even does that in 2x4, just not as loud.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Glad I could help. But man does the diff oil stink or what!! As for the spillage, there is no way around it. I recommend putting some old newspapers or rags around the oil drain pan.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepkj02 said:
Awesome! Glad I could help. But man does the diff oil stink or what!! As for the spillage, there is no way around it. I recommend putting some old newspapers or rags around the oil drain pan.

I should've put some old newspapers and rags down but I was too excited! lol!

Thanks again.