Certified Used Question - Anyone with dealership experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D_M

Reaction score
Hi all,

I shopped around a bit and test drove three Libertys. Here is what I looked at:

07 silver Sport model with 15000 miles
06 black "Jeep65" model with 25000 miles
07 black "Latitude" model with 13000 miles

(I also saw a CRD, and I kind of wish I took it for a spin)

Anyways, here is my question. At first I was interested in buying the 07 silver Sport model, but the salesman was too confrontational and pushy. When we were talking about the deal he told me that it had been inspected and that that I would get a copy of the report. The certification (8 year/80 mile powertrain warranty) would cost me something like $300 or $400.

I stopped at another dealer and saw the black 07 Latitude, and met a salesman who has been with the dealership over 40 years. He was great, had me take it out right away and then told me to take it home and try using it on my commute the next day. I decided to buy the car and figured I would pay the money for the certification (the salesman said cars are built well these days and he thinks the warranties are a waste of money, but I haven't ever had a transfer case before and I wanted to be safe).

When I bought the car I dealt with the dealership's finance person (although I got a loan elsewhere they still handle the paperwork and try to get you to buy extended service, tire warranties, etc). I asked her about buying it as a certified car. She said it would be $700 or $800. She said I would be paying for the labor of the inspection, plus the certification and that the deal was only available at the time of purchase. Since this was like double what I expected I decided to pass.

The dealer didn't ever "prep" my truck, my test drive just never ended. I asked the salesman if he wanted the window stickers, and he told me just to throw them away. When I got home I peeled the sticker off, which was hard to read through the tint, and it said that the car is fully inspected and then had an ad/logo for the Certified Used program.

Since they only gave me one key, I went back to the dealer to get the other and the salesman told me to go to service to get another cut. I decided I would ask them if they inspected the truck, since I don't think my salesman would have any idea. I drove around to service, who turned the lights out right as I walked in (they close an hour before sales). They were friendly but told me to come back when there was more time.

The next day I get an emailed survey about my service visit. I write back to the service manager and tell him that I'd have to fill out the survey later because they closed before I got a key, and asked him if he knew if my car was inspected. He wrote back and said the survey was for an oil change they did before I bought it and to disregard it. He ignored the other question.

I called Chrysler Service Contracts and asked the agent if they could tell if my car was inspected, and they said they had no idea. They also said I would not be eligible for a Certified Used anymore, and that there is no way it was less than $700 or $800 anyways as far as they knew.

Does anyone know if I am just chasing my tail because the first dealer was wrong to separate the costs? Does it matter if the woman told me car wasn't inspected if it was when I bought the car last week?

When I took the car off the lot for the test drive they said it had just come in, so it is possible they stickered it as inspected and never got around to it (I mentioned this in the email to the service manager). It'd just be nice to get an answer, but it seems like I might be out of luck anyways.

P. S. Thanks for all the info, reading this site helped a lot in the purchase process. Also, sorry if the certification process is covered somewhere else, but I couldn't find it with search. And sorry for posting the world's longest question as my first post!

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has the cash cleared? I would drive that right back and tell them you want what you bought, which is everything listed on the window sticker.

if it wasnt certified but says it was, then you should have a certified truck.

the left hand isnt always talking to the right hand at dealerships, good luck

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe a dumb question but what does certified mean in this context?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You should tell us what dealerships these are. It certainly wouldn't be the first Detroit / Ann Arbor area Jeep dealer horror story on this site. :D

Latest posts

Members online