Can't turn in 4 wheel mode..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indynewfie

Reaction score
driving a jeep ...

Check this out
http://www.jeep.com/jeep_life/index.html#

On the left side of the screen go to "4X4 101". A menu will pop out. Select the "Trail rated challenge game".
Not really a game but more of an educational exercise. Once in the game the liberty sport has the command trac, the limited has the select trac.

Many life situations are presented and the proper tool (****** setting) for the job is explained.

Hope it helps.

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In slippery conditions it is often better to use the 4h setting. This allows you to set off with minimal revs and therefore minimal wheel spin. When conditions get tough, most people immediately go for 4lo and it may not be the best choice. Always remember that when you have a tranfer case you have 10 or 12 forward gears and 2 reverse gears!

On a road even in the worst snow conditions I won't use 4lo, only 4h. The trick is to get traction and keep it by setting off slowly and maintaining a steady speed. Keep your revs and speed down to stay in control.

In heavy rain, stay in 2h and slow down, that's your safest option. Just because you are in 4wd doesn't negate the laws of physics. You are driving a heavy piece of machinery that will easily circum to the laws of inertia. Speed is always the enermy of control (even on a race track!).

4lo is mainly for very rough offroading. It lets you get instant access to the your vehicles maximum torque. This allows you use engine braking, 'snap' yourself out of tough spots, drive at extremely low speeds over obstacles and reduces the risk of stalling up steep gradients. 4lo is not suitable for pavements.

Enjoy Jeep, they're great!

Ian

Bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used 4-Lo when in mud and real deep snow at times. Because when I stopped moving (usually just easing through stuff), I could put it back in 4-Hi and have the extra wheel speed I needed to get myself out of what I'd gotten into. At time like that if I would have been in 4-Hi to start with I would have went straight to being REAL stuck, instead of being able to get myself out.

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bonehead, with your diesel you have max. torque available at about 1800 rpm. I find that setting off in 4h 2nd gear often works in deep snow when driving a diesel. You get a bit of clutch slip, but no wheel slip. Mind you my Jeep is a 2.5 CRD with a 5 speed manual gearbox, maybe that's the difference?

Ian

Bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJLad,
The above mentioned use of 4-lo was in a manual trannyed '88 Ranger , with was another reason for 4-lo(no power and maual) to keep clutch slip to a minumum. Usual start in LO and 3rd gear and that way could go both up and down in the gears without stoping, have used the same trick in friend Toyata and '94 GMC Sierra(another no power and manual (biggrin) ). We have never need Lo in my '00 GMC Z71 or my bosses '97 Powersroke(imanin that LOL). As you mentioned about the torque with CRDs torque in combo with an auto ****** I will most likely never use Lo in it. I'll just let the turbo get loaded up and listen to it sing (biggrin) . Thats one thing I love about turbo diesels the more load they have against them the more they like and the better they run, you should have heard the turbo singing away when I was towing the bosses Powerstroke the other night (was a sweet sound to behold (bowdown) )

2003KJ

Reaction score
The only time you're gonna need 4lo on the pavement is when you're pulling out that stupid H2 owner who thought his "truck" could go through that ditch....need all the power you can get to pull all that crap out of the ditch...lol.

As far as 4hi in the rain, I never use it......even with the badyears. If i start slipping, just take the speed down a bit and slow down through the corners. Now, if I had selec-trac (4Full-Time option) i'd use the full time in the rain. Only times i've really needed to use 4 low was when i went exploring on a construction site I shouldn't have been on at night, pitch black, pouring rain, and drove right off the pavement and into thick thick muck with out even realizing it untill i started sliding......thanks to the OEM goodyear "all terrains" i started spinning in 4 hi. Also a couple of weeks ago i was playin on the beach (see avatar) and got into some really deep, soft sand. Had no problems in 4 hi, but i hadn't really used low range alot and put it in there just to be safe. Pretty much idled out of the sand no problem in low, where as in hi range, I had to give it some gas.

Once I get enough money saved up i'm gonna put some real all terrains on there. Looking long and hard at the Revo's and the BFG A/T KO's. Figured i'm gonna spend the money at once and get a good all terrain tire and not cheap out. Once that time comes i'm grabbin the camera and gonna go melt the badyears to death...LOL