Can you buy stereos which you can store mp3 files on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jibraei

Reaction score
I have loads of mp3 files on my computer. Is it possible to buy a stereo which I can transfer all these files onto instead of having to play them off the computer all the time? Also, what if they exist, is the user interface as friendly as my PC would be? Thanks

Power Cable Manufacturer

Last edited:

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically you can get one with a USB jack so you just run an external hard drive (usually IPOD, but not necessarily). Just install the EHD in your glove box and you can forget its there.
The interfaces are limited due to the simple controls found on a HU, but generally similar to IPOD or other portable device.
This is better than an installed hard drive because of the ease of updating, so most companies really arent even bothering to R&D installed hard drives.

Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Alpine has a dedicated USB cable jack. Being as since my iPod was taken, now just have a 32g thumb drive on it. Its actually easier than using the iPod.

adclem

Reaction score
With the newer after market head units you can use Android phones, iPhones, iPods, flash drives etc.. to play your music through your car stereo. Things just keep getting easier.