Can I install bigger tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JorgeG

Reaction score
Hi all, first let me introduce myself. I am a landscape photographer and absolutely love my jeep. While I do use my Jeep to go on unpaved roads and some dirt roads, I am not a "off roader" and generally not very knowledgeable about the activity. So please be kind of my question seems stupid.

I own a 2006 Jeep Liberty sport, the one with the 16 inch wheels. I know the Limited edition comes with the 17 inch wheels. The time to change tires is getting close and I am wondering if I can buy and install 17 inch wheels in my sport edition or not? I tried asking the people at the dealership here in Mexico and they have no idea....as usual...the are good at taking my money though!

Thanks for any replies in advance,

Jorge.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
the one with the 16 inch wheels. ... I am wondering if I can buy and install 17 inch wheels in my sport edition or not?

You must be registered for see images

Yes you can swap to 17"s without any problem as long as it is Liberty wheels (ltd wheels) the pattern and backspacing will be OK.

As for the bigger tires alone, here is the famous chart:

tiresize.jpg

Unless you are sure that you won't be doing too much off-roading, I don't suggest getting 17s because of very limited tire selection. You have cheaper and even better tires for 16s

JorgeG

Reaction score
Thank you! I guess you are right, since I don'd do any serious off road but simply some dirt roads and such I guess I am keeping the 16s and maybe buy them a bit wider.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep the 16s and get a wider tire if you desire - smaller rim is better should you encounter anything you would like to traverse (more rubber sidewall so less likely to slam your rim into anything)