Camp Jeep OTR VA Beach

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superspeckman

Reaction score
Went to Camp Jeep On the road in VA Beach last Saturday. It was smaller than I had expected but was still a good enough excuse to head to the beach for the day. They had the off-road driving course, Jeep experience tent, and Jeep vehicles placed throughout. The on-road course was cancelled becauase they had no where to set it up (the entire area was actually on the beach itself) For the kids they had an activity tent, a rock climbing tower, and bungee/trampoline jump.

The off-road course was dissapointing in how small it was. In the orientation the guy even said that approximately 90% of 4x4 owners never take theirs off road and this course was squarely targeting just those people. They had some very mild loose sand hills, alternating potholes to show articulation, bowling ball size rocks to drive over, and a ramp you went up and over near the end. The guys who rode with me while driving both said that the course was distinctly more "tame" because of what they had to work with and that the courses at the other events were much better. The entire course was in a 100yd x 100yd square area. I test drove the Rubicon, Unlimited Rubicon, and the Grand Cherokee. Both Wranglers drove thru the obstacles with not even a tire spin (I really like that Unlimited Rubicon!). The Grand made it thru easily as well but did bottom out on the rocks and articulation. You scheduled a time for orientation but could drive all day long if you wanted.

Got some picks of the Commander and other various jeeps on display. The Commander's looks have grown on me but the interior was dissapointing. I have 4 kids so I need all 3 rows of seating. The rear row has no footwell to speak of and if adults were back there their knees would be up in their chests and there was maybe 4 inches of storage space behind that seat. All said and done it was maybe 2 hours worth of things to see/do. We stayed longer so the kids could do the bungee jumping / rock tower a few times. Afterwards we were on the beach so we hung out there.

The area was very crowded and parking difficult because of it being Memorial Day weekend and the USO having a concert right next door (you can see the back of the stage in some of the pics). I guess that was either a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. There were a fair number of "built" wranglers driving around but the only Liberty I saw was a display by a vendor as you walked in.

You must be registered for see images

"Off Road" Course:

Commander Pics:

Display Jeeps:

edit 2003kj: Fixed it for ya pal \:D/

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
That pic of the last wrangler, they should offer that look as a factory option.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Bennett said:

Boy would I love to be the guy working for Jeep who was in charge of taking every single Jeep out and "applying" that option....if should be an option on ALL jeeps...LOL

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Bennett said:

Boy would I love to be the guy working for Jeep who was in charge of taking every single Jeep out and "applying" that option....if should be an option on ALL jeeps...LOL

And may I ask why you were not there, Mr. Tim?

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the photos! Looked like fun to see all that. Yes, Commander isn't too bad. I hope Jeep does well with it.

2003KJ

Reaction score
marlonjbt said:
2003KJ said:
Bennett said:

And may I ask why you were not there, Mr. Tim?

Well, Mr. Marlon, I was unaware of the event. Plus, VA Beach is a tad far to drive just for a day trip. Good 3-4 hours one way.