California Car Duster?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone used one? Does it scratch the paint? It seems like it would scratch, but it is recommended over at Autopia. I'm considering buying that and a Stormweave car cover for the Jeep. I've washed the thing three times this week and it looks like crap again, which I can't stand things like that.

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't scratch at all, not that I noticed anyway. Just keep it in the bag that it comes with and follow the cleaning instructions, and you'll be fine. The things are awesome, we had one a few years back.
Another thing to try would be Meguiars Quik Detailer or Ultimate Quik Detailer, spray it on, wipe it off with a microfiber cloth, and you're doing the same thing as the Cali Duster. Car Covers are always a good idea too, but don't rely on them too much, I ruined the wax on my saab one time with my cover (damned morning dew started killing the wax...it was WIERD)...Good luck!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one (the original cali car duster-not an immitation) and it is really great. You need to wash the KJ (or better yet-wash and wax) and then use the duster every day and it will always look just washed until it rains or gets muddy or something. Then you wash it again and start over. It didn't scratch the finish.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also have one, it is great for little dusting. It doesn't scratch at all, even with all the crap that's stock on my paint, it doesn't get pulled either. It is great. Give it a good beating after each dusting. That's what I do, and shake it senseless. :)

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I'm hoping to order the cover soon and get the duster in the same order. As far as the cover, I'm getting the Stormweave, which says it will protect against hail and other dents from small objects and it's only $230, which seems like a good investment.

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I'm hoping to order the cover soon and get the duster in the same order. As far as the cover, I'm getting the Stormweave, which says it will protect against hail and other dents from small objects and it's only $230, which seems like a good investment.

I'm actually going to be getting a car bubble kind of thing for my porsche. It's pretty much a filtered and dry environment for your vehicle to live in while not in use. It does nothing for heat, but it ***** all the humidity out of the enclosure and keeps everything else out of it too. A bit pricy, but a whole lot less pricy than rust and other badness.
www.carcapsule.com
I'm going to get the indoor one because I park in a carport, so I don't have to worry about outdoor type hazards.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to get the indoor one because I park in a carport, so I don't have to worry about outdoor type hazards.
Using that in a carport IMO is just begging some jerk to come along and take a knife to it. I'd invest in a good car cover, a California duster and some quick detail spray instead....

Nova69

Reaction score
I have to agree with the others. I have an exterior and an interior duster in each of our cars and they work great. One car is six years old and the finish is like new.

One word of caution - don't use the duster on your car if it's even the slightest bit damp such as with a bit of dew. It won't cause any harm, but you will get a whole bunch of tiny streaks.

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using that in a carport IMO is just begging some jerk to come along and take a knife to it. I'd invest in a good car cover, a California duster and some quick detail spray instead....

Uh huh...you obviously don't know where I live. I live off a MAJOR tourist corridor, and I know both of the families that live within 1/2 mile of us. The only folks that come around this area are out to have a good time with their families. And if they aren't around to have a good time with their families and they're sneaking around at night, they've got bigger things to worry about than me shooting them for being on my property - all sorts of things that go "yum" in the night are lookin for them.
I don't think I'd have a problem around here, and a car cover can only do so much - it won't keep the moisture out of the interior and the chassis, it won't keep it from having snow blasted underneith, it's not as undeniably ******* as a protective bubble for my car.
Besides, if someone takes the trouble to "burst my bubble", they'll probally make off with the Porsche as well :cool: . But like I said, around here....I've got other things to worry about, like bears in the garbage, and Red Squirrels in my restaurant.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ Nope, had no idea where you live. Thanks for the low down on the hood. Could you tell us about the restaurantt???

Last edited:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never spent the money on the duster, just used a dry towel that I keep in the back to wipe off the dust everyday. alot cheaper that way for the same result IMO.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry Heath, dry towels scratch and you cannot really reach places duster reaches. Plus it only costs like $15.

This topic should become "Review" topic, I say.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh well, I've never had any problems...and I've used that same towel for the same purpose on the last 3 vehicles that I've had. I have always wanted one of the dusters though, just never actually got one.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
car cover is good if in climate controlled area, but if you are outside with humidity changes, weather changes, just dont leave it on long. It will build up humidity underneath, or hold water, and then your car looks worse, I used to use one, it ate my paint up. I am tempted to get another one, more high tech version, but still cant get myself to, knowing what my past experience has been

if you get a nice one i am sure you would be fine