CAI for the Libby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on a Cold Air Intake for the Libby. According to K&N it is rated to only produce another 6 HP. Seems like a lot of money for little gain. Also, I have never heard of increased MPG with the (suppossed) CAI.

DJ

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The stock air box's design works quite well, good flow rate, and filter's the particulate very well. My concern With the K&N is simply filtration. It flows better, and over time the filter media does get weaker, allowing lots of particulate into the throttle body/motor.
On my motorcycle, where stage3 = K&N, Headers, re-jetting, I am on the 3 rd set of K&N's over 8 years. The recharger kits is nothing more than fine oil to help trap more dirt, that often does not work as advertised. Leave your stock air box in, spend the money on a good dealer emission /throttle body service, or something else.

Last edited:

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the aem brute force intake on mine. Ill get a pic up for you when I get my engine back together. I think it is the nicest looking aftermarket intake for the kj

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any underhood "cai" that isn't drawing air from a fresh, non underhood, location isn't going to be a true "cai" and like you said, is costly for the "gains". Get a good drop-in air filter like the Amsoil Ea series (k&n Barely filters anything so it doesn't qualify), keep it clean and you are good to go. Best you can do otherwise is running the setup mentioned or make your own w/ some dryer vent hose or similar setup, plumbed into the stock air box.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an AEM Brute Force with the dry filter. IMHO, it's the best out of what I've tried so far which inclues the K&N drop in and K&N CAI. Mine also dumps the air from the hood scoop right on top of it.

Here's the intake
You must be registered for see images

Scoop from the front

From the corner

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KYLiberty...
Yours is a little different then mine... not sure why... your housing is only one sided... my housing completely boxes in the intake with rubber molding around the top lip that sits flush with the hood... I'll get a pic up probably this weekend...

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KYLiberty...
Yours is a little different then mine... not sure why... your housing is only one sided... my housing completely boxes in the intake with rubber molding around the top lip that sits flush with the hood... I'll get a pic up probably this weekend...

Sounds like you have the K&N. I have one of those laying around here too. The one in my picture is the one that comes with the AEM.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO... I do have the AEM brute force intake... it has the same exact sticker on it that yours does... it has like a painted silver like finish to it... what year is yours?

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an AEM Brute Force with the dry filter. IMHO, it's the best out of what I've tried so far which inclues the K&N drop in and K&N CAI. Mine also dumps the air from the hood scoop right on top of it.

Here's the intake

Scoop from the front

From the corner

love that hood!icon996.gif

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is an 04. I bought it about a year ago also. Lookin at your pic again, you have an electrical box or somethin by your condenser that I don't have in mine. Atleast not in that spot.

bowerss2

Reaction score
unless you have a hood scoop, or cold air box i will guarantee you that you will loose power by installing one of those cone air filters. The factory one is actually an excellent design which draws air from outside the engine compartment, and for a stock air cleaner its very low restrictive. A V6 does not need a MASSIVE filter, it simply does not need all that much air.

this means the stock unit is actually a cold air intake, as opposed to the dorky cone things that suck hot air off of your radiator. You will be better off mailing me the money then spending it on "performance" intakes, as you will notice the same performance gains out of it.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought one of those scoops and made my own with parts from pepboys. engine is louder and definately has more power with the outside air.

You must be registered for see images attach

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gents,
Thanks for the response.

I am stationed out of 29 Palms, but currently in the Stan. I get internet access every once in a while. Planning mods for the Libby when I return.

DJ

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres already someone making a CAI for the libby. Its works real well. There haven't been tested or anything but its not mass produced. They're made by a guy over on LOST. He sells them for material cost only.
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39547&start=0
Read through that to get an idea. Some people posted their reviews on it once they bought it.
Its only avaliable for 05-07 though. I'm currently test fitting the 02-04 model and it should be complete in a couple weeks.

Yep... I have a post over here too...

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38068

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can go with a snorkel, but I acknowledge that they are only for true enthusiasts.

Latest posts

Members online