Bye Bye new CRD's :o(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(Aeh) See below.

Jeep Kills Diesel Liberty in U.S.
Jun 05, 2006
Detroit News
While DaimlerChrysler's Jeep brand is touting its plan to build a Grand Cherokee with a fuel-efficient diesel engine, the automaker quietly ended production of a successful diesel version of its Jeep Liberty SUV for the U.S. market.

The reason? The engine for the compact SUV doesn't meet tougher federal emissions standards that go into effect next year, and Chrysler said it wasn't cost-effective to the replace the engine with a more modern version.

"The emission standards are becoming very stringent, and we weren't able to make a credible business case for a limited production vehicle," Chrysler spokeswoman Dianna Gutierrez told The Detroit News.

Chrysler's move to stop selling the Liberty in the United States comes despite its success. Liberty sales more than doubled expectations of 5,000 units last year.

In addition, Chrysler has strongly supported diesel engines as a more fuel-efficient option for U.S. drivers. Last week, Chrysler CEO Tom LaSorda touted diesel technology at a meeting of Michigan political, business and civic leaders on Mackinac Island.

LaSorda announced Chrysler will roll out a diesel-powered Grand Cherokee SUV in 2007. Mercedes, Chrysler's sibling division in DaimlerChrysler AG, will make the Grand Cherokee engine.

"This doesn't mean that since we're discontinuing the Jeep Liberty diesel that we're not committed to diesel," Gutierrez said.

She declined to say whether Chrysler will eventually market the Liberty with a more modern diesel engine. For 2007, at least, the Liberty will be available only with a gasoline engine.

The diesel Liberty, which is built in Toledo, will still be sold in Europe, where diesels are far more popular and emission regulations are less stringent.

"Our goal was to test (U.S.) consumer interest in a diesel-powered vehicle and, based on the Liberty diesel, it obviously exceeded our expectations," Gutierrez said.

Dealers are eager to get the diesel Grand Cherokee.

Alan Helfman of River Oaks Chrysler-Jeep in Houston sold 30 to 40 Liberty diesels last year.

"It was a good little seller," Helfman said. "But the Grand Cherokee will sell even better. The diesel in the Grand Cherokee will be utopia, especially since it's a Mercedes diesel."

Italy's VM Motori makes the diesel engine for the Liberty.

Chrysler's decision to end diesel Liberty sales in the United States makes sense given the regulatory environment, said Casey Selecman, an automotive analyst with Farmington Hills-based CSM Worldwide Inc.

Volkswagen will temporarily discontinue diesels in the United States and come back with versions that meet the new emissions standards, Selecman said.

"Everybody's waiting for the diesel fuel quality to change over so that they're able to use future emissions equipment that they can't use right now," he said.

Diesel vehicles account for a small portion of U.S. auto sales, but are expected to grow as high gas prices stoke demand for more fuel-efficient vehicles.

In April, J.D. Power and Associates said light-vehicle diesel sales are projected to grow from 3.2 percent of U.S. auto sales in 2005 to more than 10 percent by 2015.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very sad. I just heard this on the radio... Dang... I wish I could buy a 2006!

(dropmouth)

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

Farewell; friend, companion, loved one, accomplice, ally, partner, sidekick, and ol' chum.

:-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he diesel Liberty, which is built in Toledo, will still be sold in Europe, where diesels are far more popular and emission regulations are less stringent.

Hmmm. If your crazy enough you can just sneak one from the plant!! (whistle)

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read this on Allpar.com

The Jeep Liberty diesel option is being dropped for 2007. This is not especially surprising, since it uses an older VM Motori diesel engine that may not pass stricter emissions standards, and because it was mainly run as an experiment to judge the depth of demand. Libertys were reportedly built in the US and sent to Austria to be fitted with Italian engines before being sent back to the US, which could hardly have been a profitable undertaking.

Analysts expect to see the Liberty reappear with a new diesel engine after stricter fuel standards appear in 2007.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php?action=fullnews&showcomments=1&id=620

Interesting...

And from what I have read, the Liberty is scheduled for a redesign for 2008.

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will keep my ears open and see what I hear in the auto industry. I work for the Dana Corp, so we get emails every day about various aspects in the auto industry. If I hear anything new I will pass it on.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems bizarre & unlikely. Why would they send an entire vehicle to Europe to have an engine installed? It would be more likely that the engine be shipped to Toledo for installation.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the engine is Italian, and that makes shipping the body of the car to Austria even more puzzling to me. It has to be more cost effective to ship an engine that weighs 200-300 pounds & occupies 3-5 cubic feet, than to ship a car body weighing 3000 pounds and occupying several hundred cubic feet. not to mention, the engine only has to be shipped once, from Italy to Toledo; the car would have to be shipped twice, Toledo to Austria, Austria to Toledo- then the engine would also have to be shipped from Italy to Austria as well!

I just can't imagine that this is correct! :-s

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the grand cherokees are made in Graz Austria i think someone got a bit confused

they wont get rid of the diesel yet we have had the 2.5 and now the 2.8 in xj's and Kj's downunder

Tigrou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tgh117 said:
(The diesel Liberty, which is built in Toledo, will still be sold in Europe, where diesels are far more popular and emission regulations are less stringent.

Just to understand:
Could you please told us what is the emission regulations standart now in USA ?
A lot of magazine told us here in europe that our emission regulations are fully stringent (Aeh)

The diesel Liberty pass here with success the new 2006 emission regulations standarts for CEE. (europe standarts).

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I hear, for 2007 over here in the US, its going to be some Tier 3 emissions standard. Supposed to be the most stringent in the world. Not really sure what the actual numbers are, but all manufactuers of diesel equipment have had to redesign there engines to meet this. This even includes off road machinery and farm tractors.

I just wish they would keep it in the KJ, would be really cool if they put that 3.0 they are planning for the grand cherokee in the liberty.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tigrou said:
Just to understand:
Could you please told us what is the emission regulations standart now in USA ?

Highway Diesel in the US was allowed to produce 500 parts per million of sulfur. It has been dropped to 15 ppm.

In Europe, they have probably decided that their regulations are good enough. There comes a point in regulation where you pass "effective" and just get "restrictive". This is all news to me, so I'm not editorializing on this regulation per se, but concerning environmental regulations, there comes a point where we cut off our nose despite our face.

Here's an article from the EPA web site:
http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/68b5f2d54f3eefd28525701500517fbf/597e096a6d5f4c7e85257180006533a8!OpenDocument

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
maybe the libby re-design which is due up soon (07?..08 model year) would AND should incorporate the new engines.....shame that they are dumping it. my mom was thinking about getting a diesel one too....bah!

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
Farewell; friend, companion, loved one, accomplice, ally, partner, sidekick, and ol' chum.

It's a diesel....it should last and be around for years to come.

Tigrou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kjpilot said:
Highway Diesel in the US was allowed to produce 500 parts per million of sulfur. It has been dropped to 15 ppm.

thanks

for the moment the 2006 liberty pass the last emission regulation
it's 50 ppm(euro4).

the next one: EURO5 should be more stringent.

Tigrou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tgh117 said:
that 3.0 they are planning for the grand cherokee in the liberty.

Few months ago I try the new Grand cherokee limited with 3.0 CRD.
I love it. now "diesel" sound, and a lot of power. really great.
The price stop me but it's a beautifull car.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tigrou said:
tgh117 said:
that 3.0 they are planning for the grand cherokee in the liberty.

Few months ago I try the new Grand cherokee limited with 3.0 CRD.
I love it. now "diesel" sound, and a lot of power. really great.
The price stop me but it's a beautifull car.

I want to take a look at that Grand Cherokee with the diesel. We should see it here in the states in '07.