Bye, Bye Goodyears! (new Pictures)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dano104

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a newbie here, with a newbie question.

Last week I decided to deepsix the 50k mile goodyears, I decided to replace them with 245/70R16's AT KO BFG's. My goodyears have left alot to be desired. Do you think there will be a fairly noticable difference in traction and quality with this tire switch?

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah! I have heard some people say that they get a lot of mileage out of the stock Goodyears, but a lot of guys replace them way before their 50k rating.

I don't have the BFG's you mentioned, but let me say how poor my stock Goodyears look after 12k on my KJ. I started to do a five-tire rotation, and the wear difference between the tires that have 12k vs. 6k is rather noticeable.

I've got Revos on my TJ, and so much the better. Hopefully I can afford to upgraded to Revos on the KJ later this year. [-o<

Enjoy the new tires... and welcome. =D>

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrangler SR-A's

I've got 16,000 miles and my stock tire still look pretty good, as far as treadwear is concerned. They don't have the best traction in the world in the snow or offroad. I'll be replacing them before next winter with BFG A/T KO's. I've used them on every 4x4 I've ever owned. You'll notice a little more road noise, a little firmer ride and a loss of a 1-2 mpg. But the added traction is worth it. When I travelled a lot I put 80,000-90,000 miles on a set. They're the most aggressive non-mud terrain tire I've been able to find.

dano104

Reaction score
The tire salesman said that he only could get the 245/70R16's in an 8ply rating. Forgive me for being dumb, but how does this apply to me? Other than a stiffer ride....

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Re: Bye, Bye Goodyears!

dano104 said:
Hello all, I'm a newbie here, with a newbie question.

Last week I decided to deepsix the 50k mile goodyears, I decided to replace them with 245/70R16's AT KO BFG's. My goodyears have left alot to be desired. Do you think there will be a fairly noticable difference in traction and quality with this tire switch?

i dont have bfg's, but i think any other wheel other than the stock will be better. after i changed my 30k stockers to destinations, the difference was night and day. it made the jeep that much better w/ the better tires

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the BFGs on my KJ and I like them. I've had them for 25000 miles (I think) and the tread still has quite a bit left. They are significantly louder, but they look way better than the stock minivan tires. My only regret is I had them put on with the lettering out (I didn't know what a difference it would make)

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ply rating has to do with load ranges. More of a ply, can take more air and more of a load I believe.

But with any tire (as long as it's the same size as the stock tire), go by what the sticker in the door says about PSI to run. The tire doesn't know how heavy the vehicle is.

From what I have heard, a 5 ply is good place to start for off roading use (and up of course). 2 ply is where passenger car tires tend to start.

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My current tires are 5-ply tread/ 2-ply sidewalls. They weigh 42.5 lbs. each. The stock Goodyears weighed only 25 lbs. each if that tells you anything. Scary!

dano104

Reaction score
I had the "big meats" mounted today and I couldn't be happier. I took them on a basic trail last night, and they performed way better than the original goodyears. Not to mention they make the liberty look alot tougher!

dano104

Reaction score
I awoke yesterday morning at around 600 am to get ready for work, and I looked outside it had snowed at least two inches, ontop of ice that had accumulated. The first thought that passed my mind was to test the new tires in the snow. I have about a 3 mile commute to work from my house, and it is mainly country roads. When I was running my goodyears, I would have definately needed the part-time 4wd. To cut to the chase I drove all the way to work in 2wd, I actually had to try to break traction. Truly a night and day difference.

For all of you out there thinking 2 inches of snow is nothing... you are right, however the snow was on top of ice and there are 2 major hills that I have to overcome.

Needless to say, I'm still impressed by their performance.

Canyonero02

Reaction score
Is your 02 "pre-lowered." Also, do you have any rub at all? Im thinking of going with that exact tire in that same size later this year. Just wondering if Ill have any clearence issues.

dano104

Reaction score
No mine was made in May, :( . However, there is no rubbing at all. I personally love the tires.

dano104

Reaction score
Being that these tires have a load rating of D, what should they be aired up to? I was thinking 35lbs. How low do you think I could deflate them without damaging the sidewall?

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet that they do much better! I like how you tried out the 2WD... some difference between tires huh?!

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you like the new rubber. roadrunner gave me a bit of a tutorial on tires some time ago.
http://jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2318&highlight=

Like grogiefrog, I was surprised and disappointed when I did my first 5 tire rotation of the stockers. The wear difference after only 6000 miles was very noticable. I now think I am wasting my time doing 5 tire rotations, since I doubt they will make it to 25K.