Buying used KJ.. Noisy motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thecause17 said:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1462146335669971234

Here's a clip of that whine, is this similar to what you are hearing with yours?

Yes & no. Right after you started it up, that noise that kinda hangs there for a second is what I'm talking about. I do not have the noise that you have when you move the wheels.

Your second sound is like when the power steering fluid is low. I assume you checked that, so maybe there is a viscosity issue in the very cold temps. :-k

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get anything like that first noise in the clip, but then my Jeep has probably never experienced anything below freezing point.

rxraptor02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed this on mine as well.

I get some lifter noise when cold, but goes right away in like 4 seconds.

I also noticed the VW type sound when going through a drive through.

jimheem

Reaction score
Excellent guys, thanks for the input. I drove a third one and it made the same noise, so I'm pretty set on it. It also has not broken 25 degrees here in nearly a month, so I'm sure the cold does not help..

although.. ahem.. I havent driven my 93 YJ in over a month of sitting in the ice cold and it started right up with no noise ;)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
jimheem said:
although.. ahem.. I havent driven my 93 YJ in over a month of sitting in the ice cold and it started right up with no noise ;)

That YJ is a keeper - must be a 4.0liter.