Buying a used 2002-2005 liberty...specifics between sports and renegades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rmorit01

Reaction score
I have been searching the ads for a used 2002 to 05 sport or renegade.

I did a search on here but really couldn't find much in terms of items to check when buying used other than trying to document service records which will be hard for any used car purchase.

I did note in some of the carfax reports I saw multiple window regulator replacements for the 06 model year.

Are there any other year specific problems or improvements made from year to year -- are all 06 window regulators bad or if after replacement are they OK?

Also, is there a major service interval I should be watching for ? For example, should I stay away from 80,000 mile vehicles and stick closer to 60,000?

Plans are to use the liberty as a daily driver and for the winter vehicle since I will be moving to central Wisconsin this summer. Looking to replace a Mazda RX8 with the Liberty.

Thanks - Bob

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sports were basic model and options varies depending on unit. (no cruise) no skids etc.
Limited was nice as generally well optioned, with leather seats, many like for comfort.
Renegade was appearance package good options! (rims, roof lights, flat hood) etc...many like em!
I like to find low mile vehicle with no accidents, and history where possible, with a full independent inspection.
I also like disc on all 4 without the ABS,or traction control, and the tire pressure monitor...costly crap when need fixing. I am so glad I dont any of those.
My 2004 Rocky Mountain edition came with skids, cruise, cloth /pleather Jeep embroidered seats, two tone pained flares/grille etc..bought it at 30 k miles, now lifted and am doing the accessories I want. The 2004's are a good choice with fog lights down lower, easy to change and do the fog mod to F-150 high beam in fogs (real nice) and they don't seem to have regulator problems. Ryan's 2004 has been awesome at 150k miles he still has original rad, muffler,cats, and engine no problems at all. Mine is still like new at 38k miles now.
39633[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• JeepandClevis.jpg
    JeepandClevis.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the recall info on specific year models. See if the work has been done.

If your planning on any off road excursions (maybe even if your not) try to look underneath for skid plates. Some are no longer readily available, ie. 2002-04 engine skids.

I have a 04 Sport with AC, cruise, PW etc. 87k miles on the odo, no problems.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 Renegade came with full skids, front and rear tow hooks, light bar, plastic roof rack, running boards, and leather.

The differences between Sport, Limited, and Renegade are really just different appearance packages. Leather, different rims, etc. From what I've seen the front of my 03 Rene looks slightly different from Sports and Limiteds in that the bumper and fender flares are body color and have that "bolted" look (see avatar).

A lot of Libby drivers report having to change the window regulators. The original regulator was cheaply made. If you search for "window regulator" or something similar, you can probably snag the name of the replacement part that everyone uses. I forget the name of the company that makes the part, but it is much higher quality than stock and after having made the replacement with the aftermarket part, everyone has reported no further issues.

There were some issues with ball joints in KJs where they were recalled on some model years. There's a wealth of information on that on the net for sure.

Aside from those little things, it's a pretty solid vehicle. It doesn't ask for much outside of routine maintenance. Many users on here are upwards of 140k miles and still going strong.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Yup, our 2004 Sport has been an awesome Rig.
The only thing I have needed to replace is a water
pump and an air conditioner condenser.
(And of course consumable wear parts such as breaks
and upgraded suspension/lift kit)
As of tonight it has 227,389.9 kilometers/141,293.533 miles
on the odometer and still runs as strong as when we first bought
it!

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
2002 for the win,45RFE trans,0 window probs.,came with engine skid..

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many people (and I'm one of them) will say that 2002 models have the fewest problems. It's just the consensus. Can't point to hard and fast documentation...that's just how it is.

My Sport is pretty well optioned. About the only thing it doesn't have is power seats. Plus it came with a 5-speed which I think is the balls. That being said, if you can find a decent one I'd spring for a Renegade.

Mine has 120,000 miles. The A/C compressor just went on it. I've replaced two engines in the last two years (probably due in very large part to my lack of maintenance). It needs brakes every 18 months, no matter how gentle I drive. I just replaced the factory battery last summer at 110,000 miles. My rocker panels are starting to rust through (actual holes) below the rear doors. And I'm very meticulous about keeping it clean...I guess in my climate with the road salt it can't be helped. Other than those things, and stuff breaking as a result of my being stupid, it's been a fairly reliable vehicle.

If you can find a nice, rust-free Sport or Renegade that looks like it's been well cared for, go for it and doesn't put so much worry into what the odometer says.

Last edited:

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
My 02' has been good.. I have needed a new a/c compressor as well, new steering column, 1 new passenger front window regulator, front drive shaft... BUT these are minor, the engine and ****** are great, no problems.. I have not changed my brakes in 3.5 years, still going strong. It is all how you take care of it, how you drive, and the quality of parts / fluids you use to maintain and repair... 114,000 miles