Burnt wire insulation smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you can disconnect the wires from the sensors but, it most likely will be a lot of work and very hard to do because of the lack of space to work in that area.

I'll probably go with the slit one then. Do you have an approx harness diameter ?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure I will report back later today when i get a chance to get under there. I will also take so photos of the area.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting the libby back tomorrow and plan on trying to fix this during the week-end, in the meantime I'll take my other car to make sure I don't melt them anymore.

I'm affraid to break a bolt when removing the skid plate as these are rusted, any hints/advices on that ?

I was also wondering how hot can a cat get ?

I will take pictures as well when doing it.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will only need to remove the skid plate if it covers the transmission area. just a FYI mopar never made transmission skid plates for our liberties.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have factory skid plate package, I honestly don't know what it covers exactly.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here are a few pics of what the wiring looks like and where it is.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of what the wiring looks like and where it is.

Seems cluttered in there and your actual loom has melted

Do you have the diameter of the loom you used ?

I am unable to find high temp loom here around so I'll have to do a temp fix as well. Plan on looming it with standard plastic loom, covering it with drywall tape (fiberglass) and covering the fiberglass tape with aluminum tape.

Should hold long enough for the high temp loom to arrive ;)

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got some spark plug high temperature insulation from napa that I am going to try today and put on. The plastic will melt a little but it will offer protection to the wires. Chrysler should put out a service bulletin on this problem.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got some spark plug high temperature insulation from napa that I am going to try today and put on. The plastic will melt a little but it will offer protection to the wires. Chrysler should put out a service bulletin on this problem.

You're right about the bulletin. I also though about the spark plug insulation.

We might asked this tread to be moved in the how-to section once we're done with fixing that. We cannot be alone with this problem.

Thanks,

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What was the diameter size of the loom you used ?

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally it was saddly not that wire, mine is far enough from the cat so it must be something else :(

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my jeep I have grounds all over. The best way to make a new ground is to find a place where you can bolt or screw the ground wire to where it will have good electrical conductivity. to be able to get good electrical conductivity you need to remove paint in the area where you attach the ground.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my jeep I have grounds all over. The best way to make a new ground is to find a place where you can bolt or screw the ground wire to where it will have good electrical conductivity. to be able to get good electrical conductivity you need to remove paint in the area where you attach the ground.

I finally found one, that being said my point is that if I have a bad ground somewhere, current will try to get to the ground using something else which can lead to burnt smell ?

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a follow-up
I am still experiencing the problem.

Can a mod please move it to the proper KJ 02-07 section ? I would have done it myself either through moving or delete-create but I can't

Thanks,

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced front right cat a few days ago and till then, no smell, so either it stopped burning/melting/getting hot or it fully burned.

The new cat had a spark "protector" on (Walker)

Latest posts

Members online