Bubble sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
when my engine revs and the rpms go back to idle, there is a stutter like bubble sound coming from the exhaust. it sounds like a bathtub drain when the water is draining. it only happens for about a second. there is no sign water has gotten into the intake or even close to the air filter. when the engine runs every now an then water drops drip out of the exhaust pipe but its normal. does anyone know whats going on?

Reaction score
i can get a video if that will help. it just started happening today. also the rpms were sitting at 900 today which is 300 over normal. is that anything? temp was 76 with average humidity.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a stock exhaust?

I dont and i have that sound every time the rpms go back to idle. Kinda like it btw.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didnt have this on the stock exhaust... Maybe if it is scarred some destruction happened inside the muffler or the catalytic converter. If you don't like it, buy new ones, it's a normal backpressure sound for tuned up exhaust, you've tuned yours up i a battle :)

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

trust me theres no maybe on the scarred. thats why im worried about this. my mom just realized how bad it was bent today when i made her come out and look at it. im going to a junk yard tomorrow to see if theres a liberty i can steal that piece from

P.S. that mud crap thats coloring it is super hard to get off. took 5 mins of scrubbing to get a 3x4 piece clean on the cat

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Sounds like like normal back pressure to me.

It's probably due to the fact that your um... exhaust pipe that got... shall we say, partially flattened :D Has a few leaks in the damaged section.

You might want to post those photo's of your Liberty's exhaust injury to all the others here that aren't familiar with what happened?

If it gets worse.... Have it fixed. Or at least wrap exhaust/ muffler tape around the squashed area. Remember, a damaged exhaust system is bad for engine performance and a leaking one can be very detrimental to your health and well being.

Reaction score
most of the guys on here have seen this already. i can tell it affecting the engine because my mpg's are down 4. i also have less acceleration. it's on the top of my list to get it fixed. would it be able to push fumes in the engine bay?

Reaction score
i felt some air coming from the back of the engine yesterday when i was under the hood. it was hot air but i couldnt really smell any of the usual exhaust smell. is there some type of pipe or tube back there that would release something like that?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 'blurb blurb blurb' noise should be heard when youre coasting or after you have rev'ed the engine up..... Normal...

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the sound come from the engine or from the exhaust pipe? Cos if theres a blown mainfold gasked, the sound would be different and right from the engine...

Reaction score
i'll see if its going on today. i didnt hear anything abnormal but i was in the car driving. yesterday i was at my house and revved the engine and heard it. it wasnt loud but you could hear it when you stand at the back of the car. and the air comin from the back, i reached by the coolant thing thats orange and on the back right side i felt some air. not hard and i felt it today when the car was off so it might just be the fan blowing air.

Reaction score
no the car was on. when it was off i didnt feel it. i saw replacement exaust pipes for about 20 at pepboys. they have assorted sizes and bends. do you guys think that will work>?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, Cut the old one out and weld in a new one. Almost any parts store has pieces of exhaust pipe.

I bought a piece to put my muffler in.

Reaction score
i wasnt aware that there was a pipe there and i didnt know that i would slide off the road over a rock.