Brake lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmw2rdr

Reaction score
Couple days a police officer pulled up beside me and told me my brake lights were not working and to have them checked. The center upper light works ok. Checked tail light bulbs and they are all ok. Checked fuses and they are ok. Help!!!!!!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the grounds going to the brake light socket.....the center brake light gets its power from the same place as the two rear brake lights but the ground points are different and are known to go missing on the rear bulb sockets.

bmw2rdr

Reaction score
Thanks to the folks who responded. No, there is no trailer hitch on vehicle. I cleaned the contact area and added dielectric grease where the bulbs make contact but that didn't make a difference. Taking it to a "real mechanic" in a couple days and I'll post what the problem/solution was. Need brake lights asap.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the folks who responded. No, there is no trailer hitch on vehicle. I cleaned the contact area and added dielectric grease where the bulbs make contact but that didn't make a difference. Taking it to a "real mechanic" in a couple days and I'll post what the problem/solution was. Need brake lights asap.

I assume you haven't recently changed the bulbs? If so maybe they are the wrong types. If not I would check whether there is power getting to the light sockets. The interesting part is the center brake works - I was thinking the actuator switch at the pedal is not working correctly, otherwise I would check that (not sure if the Jeep has a separate wire from that switch to the center brake light or not). You sure the fuses are all good?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the exact same issue! Have no idea how to fix it. I have brand new tail lights so nothing corroded.

The brake switch supplies +12 volts to the two rear cluster assemblies and also the third brake light.

So if the third brake light is working then the brake switch is fine.

You need to measure with a volt meter at the actual bulbs in the rear clusters to see if the brake bulb is getting +12 volts...do this with ignition ON and with something pressing the brake pedal down.

When you are doing this voltage measurement at the brake bulb itself...measure first with the ground lead of your meter on the ground section of the cluster. Then measure with the positive lead on the bulb point itself and with the meter ground lead going onto a clean metal chassis point. If you only get the meter to read voltage when measuring between the bulb point and chassis....then your ground/earth point for the brake bulbs is missing.

The rear brake lights get their power via connector C310 (according to my 2002 circuit diagram) which is located in the right-rear quarter panel.

Last edited:

RussWhite

Reaction score
I founda report of similar symptoms on another Jeep list. This is what fixed it in that case:
"no door locks except when in ignition, and no brake lights, CENTER did work. Ahh, fuse 34: Body Control Module, and it's functions for that fuse. "

Let us know if this helped. Russ

surfRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For mine, I tested everything with the multimeter..it all checks out. So decided to swap the backup light bulb with the brake light bulb. it worked! The thing that is the most goofy thing ive ever seen is that since i swapped those bulbs, now when i press my brakes all the interior dash lighting turns on...when the brake pedal is not pressed everything turns off. Made driving home last night fun. How swapping one bulb created this mess I have no idea

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
For mine, I tested everything with the multimeter..it all checks out. So decided to swap the backup light bulb with the brake light bulb. it worked! The thing that is the most goofy thing ive ever seen is that since i swapped those bulbs, now when i press my brakes all the interior dash lighting turns on...when the brake pedal is not pressed everything turns off. Made driving home last night fun. How swapping one bulb created this mess I have no idea

I was surprised to see that some of the electrical components in our KJ are
made by the English firm Lucas. "The Prince of Darkness"
If the lighting circuit was manufactured by them it would explain the problem
right there!

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F:favorites68:in Eh!

Like the joke goes...

Why do Englishmen drink warm beer?

'Cause their refrigerators are made by Lucas!
You must be registered for see images attach

Ok, explains why there's no ice cubes over there...it's the electrical dudes fault.:shocked:

surfRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought id check back in here. I had some crazy electrical stuff going on. First brake lights didnt work. Played around with the bulbs, swapped some, bought new ones, etc. Then the dash lights started only turning on when the brake lights came on, then no lights on the passanger side of the vehicle and no dash lights at all. So, after all of this testing with voltmeters and everything, I would say check the bulbs and check fuse number nine. when I replaced fuse number nine with a new one i got my passenger side lights and all the dash lights again.