bit of help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sabreuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sabreuk project

hey up guys got a couple of quick questions for ya, driving the jeep tonight ive come across a couple of niggly things. has anybody on here come across the same issues? if so some advice needed :)

1. only in first gear setting im getting a grinding noise from the rear only for a couple of seconds until it gets going but it was definatly noticable and its only when its setting off. my thought prop uj bt if anybody has had this and knows differently then please advise.

2. going around corners the rear end seems kinda loose like the diff is loose kinda hard to explain, kinda feels like its crabing is this normal or has something come loose etc again any advice would be appreciated. i was thinking maybe control arm bush has worn or rear control arm.

Last edited:

sabreuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was just curious if anybody else had these issues and say yeah its that. thanks for the reply though ill get checking the back end out when it is a bit dryer outside.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would check the rear diff fluid first. Do you have the optional trak-Lok rear diff.?

Just guessing as I am not familiar with options in the the UK spec KJ's.

Dave

brokendad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Niggly Things

Yeah, I would check the rear diff fluid first. Do you have the optional trak-Lok rear diff.?

Just guessing as I am not familiar with options in the the UK spec KJ's.

Dave

I agree with Dave sounds like you have the "Trac Lok" option on your libby and you need to service it. The service period on the Limited Slip Differential is 42,000 miles, I believe. How many miles does your libby have? Do you have any oil spots where you park or on the differential cover? Also check the rubber plug for the fill hole on the diff. cover
sometimes it will leak around it.
Good Luck

sabreuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cheers guys for the replys, its got 102,000 on the clock and im not 100% sure whats been serviced or not. this was first job come payday to drop all the oil n lubes and replace aswell as change all the filters and plugs n leads.

whats trak lok and will i know if its fitted to mine or not?

oh and there is no leaks or seepage anywhere underneath or any marks from any previous leaks.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trak Loc is the factory limited slip option for the rear differential - it is designed to prevent wheel slip when one side loses traction. It is a poor man's locker but is prone to wearing out since it uses clutches to engage the axles.

As far as your Jeep "crabbing"...I would agree with you that the rear lower control arm bushings are probably shot. One way to check while driving is to accelerate and pay attention to the rear end - if it feels like it crabs during straight acceleration it's almost certainly the lower control arm bushings. Easy for a shop with a press to replace; check out RockAuto.com for the replacements. Several of your fellow countrymen have ordered from them with good service.

Bob

sabreuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i know rockauto well bud, ive used them a lot when i rebuilt my chevy astro. i suppose cold and wet it is tomoz to investigate a bit more, ill keep ya updated with what i find or dont find :-/

sabreuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well had a look under the kj and found a bush on the upper control arm in less than good order and the bottom control arms look like they need changing, the props look good though and no loose ujs onthe rear prop and the front prop seem ok so i think you guys might be right ref the diff i have just ordered loads of bits for the jeep which i posted in the what have ya done to your jeep today thread so when i drop the diff oil ill have a gander then at the diff.

upto this point though im still loving the jeep but the 2.4 is defo a bit gutless and could do with say a couple more horses instead of the poor donkey thats pulling mine at the min think maybe a new carrot is in order when i service the poor thing lol. previous owners and neglect and maintainence lazyness does my head right in grrrrrr!!!!

sabreuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i think i have the issue with the crabbing looks like the rear upper control arm has a shot bush so ill get that sorted soon as.

i have got some updates though if you havent seen the what i have i done to my jeep today ive fitted my new tyres insa turbo sahara tyres, my servicing kit has just turned up, new serpintine belt, plugs, air fuel oil filter, just waiting for new ignition block and wires and timing belt kit though. so ill get that fitted at some point this week if the weather holds out.

i do have a question though im expericing a slight erratic issue with my revs on tick over the revs pulse slightly not by much but you can defo notice the revs drop and pick back up has anybody had this im thinking down the lines of a sticky iac valve or and tps sensor having a brain fart. ill take the iac out when i service it and carb clean it right up but curious if anybody has had this issue on there kj.thanks craig

Last edited:

sabreuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well today the weather is actualy good here in uk sunny and warm so cracked on with the servicing with what ive got, changed serpintine belt changed spark plugs, changed ignition leads and engine flushed drained and new oil and filter fitted, so its a start. also i cleaned up the the throttle body and iac valve wow they where thick with gunge so hopefully thats my idle issue cured also replaced a lug and nut on the rear wheel which the tyre men kindly smoothed off for me so thats also done :)

still to do:

timing belt and tensioner
drop and replen front and back diff
greese props
change fuel filter
change rear upper control arm
replace rear shoes for e brake and adjust.

after the servicing bits are finished with its on with the toys :)

cb to fit
roof lights to go on
suspension lift
and then maybe a winch bumper and winch

oh if ive done anything on mine bearing in mind mine is the baby 2.4 petrol/gas and you need a write up or pics of something give me a shout it appears the 2.4 is not as common as i first thought :-/ thanks craig

sabreuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today i have changed the oil and for the past 1hr or so ive created my own service record on excel which has now given me a headache trying to figure how to do a spreadsheet but it looks good yay :) i did this as the previous owner never supplied its previous history so ive started a new one from my date of purchase so everything is logged etc. so next week is diffs and transfer box drain and refill and timing belt at long last.

i do need a new driver mirror now though as some *** in a white van decided to hit mine and broke the bracket so the electric motors dont move the mirror in and out and the demist has also stopped working :-/ but that isnt essential at this second as the mirror is still good.

sabreuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well again been busy with work but i have managed to service the whole jeep oil, spark plugs, leads, transfer box, front and back diff, and the pain in the neck fuel filter in the fuel tank :-/ any way unexpected job was the handbrake decided to stip the rear brakes and adjust the handbrake and found a few issues.

The rear shoes were orn right down the springs looked suspect and 2 of the 4 pins that seat the shoes had corroded and snapped off well getting shoes and a spring kit has proved to be a pain in the neck. ive found out 02 kj have 2 different brake set ups early 02s had drum later 02s had disc 03s have a slightly different disc set up bu thats more shoe design than anything 2 sets of shoes and a heated phone call to jeep ive now got the stuff i need.

well i got the spring kit easy enough on ebay no probs until i found out there was different kits i ordered the drum kit instead of the disc kit doh! which is not as easy to get in the uk as you would expect. phoned jeep and they quoted me £78+vat for 4 springs, 2 clips, 2 pins, and 2 rubber grommets which lead to an argument about pricing.

i got in touch with rockauto u.s.a £35 including import tax and the same kit is in transit delivered to my door.

the kit needed is ACDELCO 18K1634 for future ref. i tried everwhere to find this kit in the uk and it was either over priced for what it is or unlisted so trust me unless you know better rockauto is the place to get it from.

the shoes was a pain as i had the 03 shoes delivered instead of the 02s ill show ya the difference in a min so check before you order. anyway heres the pics.

The first pic is the correct shoes for mine, the other is the wrong shoes look at the arrows for the difference.
Attachments

Attachments

• $T2eC16VHJGQE9noM,KnKBRN1M0pvkg~~60_12[1].jpg
    $T2eC16VHJGQE9noM,KnKBRN1M0pvkg~~60_12[1].jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 0
  • $(KGrHqJ,!nQE8Ykkelf)BPVh,-Pnig~~60_12[1].jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!nQE8Ykkelf)BPVh,-Pnig~~60_12[1].jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

sabreuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres the spring kits the drum brake kit has more bits than you want to mess with and the kit i ordered from rockauto for disc brakes which is the first pic.

Attachments

• getimage[4].jpg
    getimage[4].jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 2
  • $T2eC16JHJGIE9nnWphchBQM75Fzrkg~~60_35[1].jpg
    $T2eC16JHJGIE9nnWphchBQM75Fzrkg~~60_35[1].jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 2