Big transfer case delema

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrustyCanadian666

Reaction score
Hi guys, I made the the mistake of letting my younger brother create an account on here to solve my issue, thought since hes not mechanically challenged like me I thought it'd be a good idea, I apologize anyway my jeep has the 4hi, 4lo, 2hi, and neutral positions. I've been told by a mechanic that the noise is coming directly out of the transfer case, and that buying a new case would be more cost efficient than having someone rip into the current one. The noise is a loud clunking sound and is only present in 4wd, hi or lo. Its a 5 speed manual with the 2.4l powertech. Any info on my transfer case model or advice on how to get my 4wd working again would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First post and such language :favorites68:
You tell us what type of transfer case you have, we can't tell unless you let us know
Two types that it could be
tell us what is on the lever and then maybe we can tell
Could just be as simple as the CV on the end of then front driveshaft

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
young people today, no respect.

crawl up under the jeep, find the medalion on it with markings, and note what it says.
your 3 basic choices are 231, 241, 242.

you've got a stick, so more than likely it's a 241.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey now. :whip:

hey... i don't think I've even seen you curse in a post, and you're from :favorites68: Jersey! :D

you're not in the aformentioned demographic.

... now get off my lawn.