bed liners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the herculiner roll on kit turns into a flat black? my buddy just did his truck bed with it and its really glossy. Not what I want for my belt-line down/roof. I was looking for more of a flat black. Does it eventually fade to be that way or should I be looking at a different product? I can get a quart of it for $30 and use his roller and scotch pad. So I don't have to buy the whole $90 kit. That's what's drawing me towards this idea. The minimal cost of it.

Thanks in advance for insight.

Rock Lizard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Herculiner is garbage. There are better DIY bedliner kits for just a little more. Look into Mortons (pm tjkj2002 for website where he got it). I would recommend Durabak if you can't do Mortons. I have used Herculiner more times than I care to admit, and it was only because I didn't want to throw $100 (at the time) for the kit since I used a little at a time. Looking back it would have been worth it to go ahead and throw that $100 in the trash.

oddball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm going to be applying Durabak UV to my KJ soon.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm going to be applying Durabak UV to my KJ soon.

Same as Herculiner! just has colors and UV added

to KJweston yes it will fade to a flat black and it looks good, I did it on my KJ w/o the UV and it held up excellent! I used 60 or 80 grit sandpaper and did 3 coats and it was nice and thick but I wish I would have done 4 coats just bc I had a lot of extra, I had the gallon kit.

Dont let them talk you out of Herculiner it really is great stuff for being roll on. :cool:

drawnon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last winter I bought a gallon of dupli-color bed liner off e-bay for 45 plus shipping. I used it for my aluminum jon boat. It was a flat black.
I like the pictures of the liberty’s with the belt line, fender flares and bumpers painted up with this stuff. But the idea of sanding up my jeep scares the poo-poo out of me. I had to scuff up my boat pretty good for this stuff to stick properly (according to the directions). And the stuff I got the bed liner on (yea I got sloppy) did indeed flaked right off. As well as cleaning the paint pan during clean-up a couple days later. It was dried but was real easy to flake, and scrape off because the paint pan wasn’t scuffed. The paint pan was smooth metal, and I easily removed almost all of it. And how do you guys get it to stay on plastic? I tried to use a plastic pan liner and it ate through and warped it pretty good. Almost like someone crumpled it up like a wad of paper. Chemical reaction? Is it because the pan liner is 2mm thick and the bumpers are thicker? Scary stuff… looks good though…

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And how do you guys get it to stay on plastic? I tried to use a plastic pan liner and it ate through and warped it pretty good. Almost like someone crumpled it up like a wad of paper. Chemical reaction? Is it because the pan liner is 2mm thick and the bumpers are thicker? Scary stuff… looks good though…

I would like to know the same thing. I have a sport but, I painted my flares and bumpers with VHT Epoxy paint so they are black right now but it scratches off when hitting trees and stuff. Do you think the bed liner would stick to this? And I think I'm gonna bed line my roof as well. When I drilled the holes for my lightbar unfortunately I missed some metal shavings on my roof and they rusted within a couple days. (just noticed them yesterday) tried to rub them off but it appears they have rusted into the paint.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Herculiner is garbage. There are better DIY bedliner kits for just a little more. Look into Mortons (pm tjkj2002 for website where he got it). I would recommend Durabak if you can't do Mortons. I have used Herculiner more times than I care to admit, and it was only because I didn't want to throw $100 (at the time) for the kit since I used a little at a time. Looking back it would have been worth it to go ahead and throw that $100 in the trash.

I think I've talked to him about bedliners before and he used a air gun with his stuff if I'm not mistaken. plus he worked at a paint shop so typically had more resources than I. I was looking at herculiner because of the easy roll on application. Is durabak roll on?

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure most if not all the bedliners can be rolled on but of course it looks better sprayed. I have Herc on the sides of my XJ and it faded dull fast. Doesn't look terrible when clean but not as good as some other products I have seen used.

oddball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same as Herculiner! just has colors and UV added

So then it's not the same. :rolleyes: The closest they come to being the same is that they're owned by the same company. And for the record, Durabak is available in textured or smooth finishes. Herculiner is not.

All DIY bed liner's I've found can be sprayed, brushed or rolled on.

For whoever was asking about applying bed liner, you will need to use adhesion promoter to painted surfaces prior to applying the bed liner.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So then it's not the same. :rolleyes: The closest they come to being the same is that they're owned by the same company. And for the record, Durabak is available in textured or smooth finishes. Herculiner is not.

All DIY bed liner's I've found can be sprayed, brushed or rolled on.

For whoever was asking about applying bed liner, you will need to use adhesion promoter to painted surfaces prior to applying the bed liner.

I know that you can get Durabak in textured or smooth, And since they are both owned by the same company they are made the same, if you get the textured so they will last the same and apply the same. You dont have to apply adhesion promoter either, just sand, clean and apply and it will adhere

oddball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that you can get Durabak in textured or smooth, And since they are both owned by the same company they are made the same, if you get the textured so they will last the same and apply the same. You dont have to apply adhesion promoter either, just sand, clean and apply and it will adhere

NO, they're not the same. They're as much the same as a Rubicon and Liberty are.

As for applying, I actually meant to write with the DIY bed liner, Xylene Solvent is needed before applying. If using a product like Dupli-Color spray on bedliner on plastic bumper covers, etc., it is best to use adhesion promoter.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for applying, I actually meant to write with the DIY bed liner, Xylene Solvent is needed before applying. If using a product like Dupli-Color spray on bedliner on plastic bumper covers, etc., it is best to use adhesion promoter.
No Xylene solvent needed,just after prepping the surface either wash with Dawn dishsoap(use only Dawn) or use wax/grease remover.No adhesion promoter needed either unless you have those unpainted flares/bumpers.

tumanator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my .02 I used Dominion Sure Seal's "Gator Guard II" epoxy bedliner, it does a good job protecting from chips and I like the color it's not too shiny, and it doesn't have the dull black look the KJ's with black bumpers get after sitting in the sun.

oddball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Xylene solvent needed,just after prepping the surface either wash with Dawn dishsoap(use only Dawn) or use wax/grease remover.No adhesion promoter needed either unless you have those unpainted flares/bumpers.

Durabak recommends Xylene in the instructions. (dunno)

jdumont

Reaction score
Herculiner is absolutely NOT garbage. I have my whole lower half all the way around and front grille done and its perfect. You MUST buy/use the UV protect bottle from them or it will fade and start to thin out after a year or so. Mine has been on for three years or so and still looks brand new.
I just did the lower half and tailgate of a buddys full size Chevy and he did his dads ENTIRE 1979 Ford 250.

If you do the prep right and use it right per their instructions it works as advertised.