BDS Suspension kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
socks said:
Good day,
Does anybody here have this setup installed on their Libby?
Was the installation straight forward?
How is the ride both on and off road?

I have the BDS kit and have had it installed for nearly 2 years now. It made an incredible difference over stock ride, as most lifts will do, and I have taken it off-road numerous times.

The installation was done by my local 4x4 shop but I realized the simplicity of the installation after re-doing my front end, more on that later. As for ride comfort both on/off road? I feel much taller on the road, going over bumps is less noticeable and the actual maneuverability feels much more controlled.

About re-doing the front end. After about a year I noticed my front end was really rough. I found that the stock shocks were no good and they had to be replaced. Well I also read more into the rear Rancho RSX17004 shocks which give more articulation. So, I replaced the front struts/shocks with Rancho 17505 and the rear shocks with Rancho 17004. Also! I began to find when off-roading my upper control arm would make contact with the BDS spring. I ended up buying Al's upper arms to completely fix this issue. You may or may not run into the upper arm hitting the spring but I wanted to let you know it could happen in off-road situations or situations where the suspension drops considerably.

So in final I have the BDS lift kit, replaced the rear shocks with Rancho RSX17004 and ended up setting up the front with new shocks/struts and Upper Arms. Again the Upper arms were solely up to me and the shocks/struts happened because of blown out stock ones. Good luck with your decision.

FINAL NOTE:
Maybe take a look into the Rustys 2.5" lift kit. It will net you a little more height and it comes with the new front struts. You may also be able to replace Rustys rear shocks with the Rancho RSX 17004's. Do a search on this forum for more information.

I'm the first KJ on the BDS website:
http://www.bds-suspension.com/pj/pj_record_display.php?pri=539&pht=1

EDIT #1:
WOW! I Just looked and saw the BDS kit is now $465!! I bought it at $420.

HAVE FUN AND LET US KNOW WHAT YOU DECIDE!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,
Thank you sir, that was very informative.

The reason I am inquiring is that the BDS setup is available for immediate delivery here in the Pacific North West of Canada for $585.00 Canadian dollars, which is approx. $485.00 US. And there is no shipping or duty to add into the price.
The other kit that I can get locally is the skyjacker kit. But that one retails
for $1000.00cdn. or $830.00usd. That is a considerable difference in price of $415.00.
Also, I read here on the forum that the Skyjacker lift kit has it's share of problems as well. Having said that...The money I save going with the BDS
kit can be better spent "tweaking" that kit or buying other goodies for our KJ.

I might however bite the bullet and opt for the Rusty's kit 'cause of all the good reviews that I read about it here on the board. Just the shipping and duty are gonna be killer!

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers
Ry'

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the BDS kit and love it. I'm going to be upgrading my shock and struts soon, probably to OME, but only because my current ones had had a hard 3 years under my Jeep.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gris,

The BDS kit is a very good lift. I could've gotten away with upgrading struts but I was in the upgrade mood!! haha (whistle)

Hauntedyards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
socks said:
Good day,
I might however bite the bullet and opt for the Rusty's kit 'cause of all the good reviews that I read about it here on the board. Just the shipping and duty are gonna be killer!
Ry'

I'm thinking about the Rusty's kit as well but I might change a few parts depending on what the consensus is around here.. I have the advantage though of living 30 minutes from the US border... so all my parts get shipped to the UPS drop on the US side and I can drive down to get them... then I just have to pay taxes when I cross the border.

There technically isn't Duty anymore.. you just pay the %15 (or whatever provincial taxes +GST)... When shipping into Canada it's the Brokerage Fees that you will cry over... sometimes double the cost of your item. People confuse this with duty but the brokerage companies have no affiliation with Canada customs and revenue.

Anyways... YEah I'm looking at the Rusty lift too... hehe

Jeff

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,
Jeff'
If that's the case with the border/PST/GST (13%) I'm but 20 minutes away from Peace Arch border myself.
I'll tell ya, it's been about ten years since I mail ordered anything from the U.S. Back then if an item came north via post, you paid S&H fee($5.00) duty on the item(In my case it was none due to them being for an antique vehicle and then only GST! So, if it's that smooth, I'll just Jeep on down and clear it myself!

Phil,Gris, I've been checking out your photo's of your kj's... Both sweet rides!
And Gris, those clevis shackles kick ass.

Ry'