Battery at 10.7 volts??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I plugged in one of those portable cooler/heater devices, to transport some cold drinks, first time, and the "low battery" warning light came on. I looked at the manual, it said, this light will show if the vehicle battery is below 10.7 volts.

Is that normal?
As we all have been having hot-weather related battery problems.
I'm about to drive past Ensenada, I don't want to be stuck out there with a dead battery.

Oh let me also point out that the Liberty was not running and I've had no other issues.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Iif it's not running, I can see that happening as there is no charge going to the battery. If your enigne is running, and the light still comes on when you plug it in, then you might wanna replace the battery

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Iif it's not running, I can see that happening as there is no charge going to the battery. If your enigne is running, and the light still comes on when you plug it in, then you might wanna replace the battery

Wonldnt he want to check the alternator b/c its not charging. Even if the battery is bad when its running the battery light shouldnt come on if it charging correctly.

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
2003KJ said:

Wonldnt he want to check the alternator b/c its not charging. Even if the battery is bad when its running the battery light shouldnt come on if it charging correctly.

Yes that would be a good idea, thanks for the input..completely forgot about that. That would more than likely be the cause if the battery light were to come on while the engine is running, but like he said the engine was off, and if the battery is that low, its probably not "taking the charge" from the alternator probably.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trodo said:
Okay, I plugged in one of those portable cooler/heater devices, to transport some cold drinks, first time, and the "low battery" warning light came on. I looked at the manual, it said, this light will show if the vehicle battery is below 10.7 volts.

Is that normal?
I'm about to drive past Ensenada, I don't want to be stuck out there with a dead battery.

Oh let me also point out that the Liberty was not running and I've had no other issues.

How long was the mini cooler running, before you saw the low battery light?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your vehicle was NOT running as you say and you plugged in any accessory that drew power it would be a matter of time before you had a dead battery. This would actually be normal for what you did. Now run it and the alternater will charge it up and the light will go out. If you do this enough you will kill the battery for sure. A normal 12 volt car battery should test out to 12.4 volts (or very close to that). They are really only made to operate along with an alternater providing a continuous charge. They are different than a boat or camper battery that are made to take a continuous discharge for a long time.

If the light does not go out you will need to test both the battery and alternater as stated above.

Consider only plugging it in while you are driving and unplugging it when you are not running and you should be ok.

Dave

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
Trodo said:

Is that normal?

How long was the mini cooler running, before you saw the low battery light?

I plugged it into the back outlet, and the device warning light came on, (the engine was not running) and the cooler had not been running at all. I checked my scangauge setting, the obd port says 12.1 volts.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the input. I know heat can kill batteries, and the engine bay of the Liberty isn't exactly well vented. But I thought that it would be a bit soon for my battery.
Probably just stuck in my head with all the current battery issues.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You plugged it into the back outlet. You didn't say that before. I think the back outlet is always on so it was just a warning light you got. Like just a reminder. Therefore nothing wrong with your battery. Just run it and it will recharge and be fine.

Dave

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cooler

They make a plug adapter the you first plug into a cigarette lighter, then plug the cooler into it. It detects your battery charge and cuts the cooler off before the battery gets drained. I forget exactly what it's called or where to get it. Try Radio Shack.