Basically New 04 Jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomAllyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just obtained an 04 Jeep Liberty Limited that only has 24k (no that is not a typo) on the odometer from a man I've known for years. He bought it new and then only drove it to get groceries and go to the Dr.. The only reason he sold it is he cannot drive any more as of last week. He would not allow me pay him even close to what it is worth. Yes I realize that there could be issues with seals and such, but for what I paid its worth the chance as I'll still be a head if the seals go bad and I have to have it fixed. This is my first Jeep and only my second 4x4 vehicle.

Now for the topic that I want to ask about. Today I took it to a small well respected 4x4 shop in the area, to find out about getting it lifted a couple inches. Someone told me I could just get a 2.5" leveling kit, but the shop owner said he would only do it if I did a full suspension lift as that would be safest.

Is it true that I should get the full suspension lift even though I will only use 4WD when necessary to get to out of the way Fly Fishing spots? Though that may involve limited rock crawling on occasion, crossing water and/or mud, but not often. More often than not it will just involve climbing steep or trails rough enough that I wouldn't do it in 2WD.

How much should I expect to pay for a 2.5" lift kit and installation?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First you have a ten year old vehicle no matter how many miles it has on it.
Second even if it was two years old a full spring suspension lift is 100 times better than any spacer lift made. PLUS the ride and handling is way better than it was in 2004. I lifted mine less than a year after I bought it, had 20,000 miles it by then, and should of done it soon.
So yes the guy was leading you in the right direction, just depends on what lift he was trying to sell you. Most want to sell you Skyjacker or something like that , stick with either OME or Ironman only . Of course there is always the JeepinByAl adjustable coilover lift but more $$$$.
You can not go wrong doing a full spring lift if it is one of the above. Forget Skyjacker/ Rustys etc they have the same spring rate as stock

Full spring kit like OME is 800 or so, haven't looked at prices lately on JBA. Ironman a little less . Installation is easy, lots of folks have done it in their driveway. Of course if you have to pay , depends on where you are , 300-700 or higher

TomAllyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First you have a ten year old vehicle no matter how many miles it has on it.
Second even if it was two years old a full spring suspension lift is 100 times better than any spacer lift made. PLUS the ride and handling is way better than it was in 2004. I lifted mine less than a year after I bought it, had 20,000 miles it by then, and should of done it soon.
So yes the guy was leading you in the right direction, just depends on what lift he was trying to sell you. Most want to sell you Skyjacker or something like that , stick with either OME or Ironman only . Of course there is always the JeepinByAl adjustable coilover lift but more $$$$.
You can not go wrong doing a full spring lift if it is one of the above. Forget Skyjacker/ Rustys etc they have the same spring rate as stock

Full spring kit like OME is 800 or so, haven't looked at prices lately on JBA. Ironman a little less . Installation is easy, lots of folks have done it in their driveway. Of course if you have to pay , depends on where you are , 300-700 or higher

Thank you for the info. So I just got a call from the Shop that I spoke to yesterday with a quote. Interestingly I was kind of surprised in that the quote was only for a spacer install even though he told me yesterday I'd need a full suspension lift. Pressed further for info on the full suspension lift he said said that that shocks would run approximately $240 more that he would either use Pro Comp or KDY.

From what was stated above I gather this would not be a good way to go. The crazy thing is this shop S & H 4 Wheel Drive Service Center in Sacramento came highly recommended by couple people I respect who spend all their free time wheeling in CJ's.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing to understand. A shop can be highly respectable but have no experience lifting a Liberty. Which is WAY different from say a Wranlger etc. Many brands that make quality lifts for Wranglers and other vehicles make garbage kits for the Liberty. mostly beacsue they just want to piece something together really fast to market to Liberty owners without really caring how well it works. Many shops will take the knowledge they got from Wranglers, Cherokee's, Pickup trucks etc and assume it will work the same with the KJ.

Like Tom said; stick with OME, Billstein, Ironman. They are true and tested brands for the Liberty that work. You can piece it together yourself, go through JBA and get a fully put together kit, or go through All J's at Boulderbars.com and get a built kit there.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. So I just got a call from the Shop that I spoke to yesterday with a quote. Interestingly I was kind of surprised in that the quote was only for a spacer install even though he told me yesterday I'd need a full suspension lift. Pressed further for info on the full suspension lift he said said that that shocks would run approximately $240 more that he would either use Pro Comp or KDY.

From what was stated above I gather this would not be a good way to go. The crazy thing is this shop S & H 4 Wheel Drive Service Center in Sacramento came highly recommended by couple people I respect who spend all their free time wheeling in CJ's.

Welcome!!
CJs and KJs are very different vehicles. :) Gotta find a shop that's good at working on an IFS or KJs specifically. Anyway lots of lift info on here.

TomAllyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!!
CJs and KJs are very different vehicles. :) Gotta find a shop that's good at working on an IFS or KJs specifically. Anyway lots of lift info on here.

Anyone know any shops in the Sacramento, CA or Northern CA area.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have to understand that 4X4 shops may do 100s of lifts but like mentioned not on KJs and KKs . Not that they are hard to do, actually very easy but they simply have not done many. Local 4X4 shop has done 2 in over 10 years and they are busy every day. I've done more than 2 in a weekend. There is literally 12 years of first hand knowledge and experience here and on LOSTJEEPs in what works and what doesn't.
If we suggest a certain brand its not because we are so called fan boys like some like to call it, its simply we know what works/ whats lasts and what handles on and off road the best

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know any shops in the Sacramento, CA or Northern CA area.

I know it's not exactly down the block but All J's is located in Big Bear.. give you a nice 400 mile drive home to break in the new lift though lol

You must be registered for see images

TomAllyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to find the Ironman Lift Kits and can't find them anywhere online. Do you all know where I can find them?

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to find the Ironman Lift Kits and can't find them anywhere online. Do you all know where I can find them?

Places to purchase where posted a couple times above.. but it's Friday and I'm bored at work so here you go

KJ Ironman 1.5" spring lift kit | J.B.A.

Unless I'm losing my mind it looks like Ironman changed the look fo their shocks.