Badlands, Indiana

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I planned on taking today off from work several weeks ago with the idea to visit the Badlands for the first time. Of course the forecast expected rain early this morning and all day, but fortunately it didn't start to rain until after lunch. Well the Badlands is a very cool off road park. As some of you may recall, I was on a Jeep trip out in CO last August, and although the Badlands is different from what I drove in CO, it's a good size park and a lot of fun. There is a lot of sand that in one case I got myself stuck in by just being dumb. Besides the open areas with sand, there are plenty of trails running through the woods that are just wide enough for a Jeep (almost anyway!). I did try several parts of the orange trail, but there were a number of areas that I would have needed a lift to get through safely.

This is looking over part of the rock pit area.

You must be registered for see images

Just one of the trail shots.

Orange trail rocks... I took another route!

A log crossing.

Corner shot of TJ after returning from the Orange trail.

My Jeepin' buddy giving me some advice on the best way down.

This is where I was stupid and got myself stuck. The trail was narrow here to the right, and I should have been hugging the left side more, and the sand gave way and I slid down a bit, enough that the right tires were sunk. My TJ was at an angle you'll notice. So a couple of friendly guys from the Badlands brought over a Cherokee with a winch and pulled me back over. That was my first rescue. I tried to give them a tip, but they wouldn't take it and suggested I put it towards a winch! So thanks guys again for your help!

Badlands:
http://www.badlandsoffroad.com/

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow...that looks like an awsome place to wheel.

Nice pic's too. Wish I was closer to it.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave said:
Wow...that looks like an awsome place to wheel.

Nice pic's too. Wish I was closer to it.

There has got to be tons of place in upstate NY. You have the huge Adirondack Park. What about all the old township, logging, oil, forest roads? I'v always heard upstate NY was pretty remote.

I agree the badlands is a nice area. However, it's still just a small 1sqr mile or so park, dosen't compare to wheeling in a National Forest or out in the moutains. However, for midwest standards the badlands it pretty darn nice.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michigan has some nice Fire Trails up in the northern thumb and Upper Penninsula. The wilderness is bright and wonderful and the trails/streams are amazing. However, most of that stuff is nationally protected and against the law to run an ORV through. It's still beautiful though and I would run the KJ through a trail just to get pics and say I did it!

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a nice park! They had a lot of side trails all over the place. I didn't realize that Indiana had that much sand...

Eddo said:
There is a lost run to the Badlands on later this month. Saturday, Oct 28th
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13059

More than welcome to join.

Thanks Eddo. I'm thinking about it! Although I have to travel to Long Island the week before to get together with my work department (the 15 + of us are in five different states), so I may be anti-social by the time that's over. (censored) (censored) (censored)

I would however bring my TJ, as it's got the proper tires and skid plates to get stuck with. (biggrin)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eddo said:
There has got to be tons of place in upstate NY. You have the huge Adirondack Park. What about all the old township said:
------------------------------------------------------

Yea, there are good places to wheel in the Adirondacs. My favorite place has at least 100 miles of trails and natural springs where you can get a drink of water coming out of the mountain that is about 40 degrees even in the middle of summer.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
It was a nice park! They had a lot of side trails all over the place. I didn't realize that Indiana had that much sand...

The sand is a result/left over from the glaciers that covered the area. In areas Indiana soil is very sandy. However i don't knowhow much they may have brought in for certain areas for the badlands.

Reaction score
anyone who lives in indiana and plans on going to the badlands not to far from now send me a message. i have a liberty renegade and my buddys getting a wrangler with a 3.5" sky jacker lift. we'll go with you. its better in a group anyway in case you get stuck