Bad Day...my wheel CAME OFF!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got up early this morning and went to the local shop where I get all of our work done to get the tires rotated and balanced. I got about a mile from the shop and the driver's side rear tire CAME OFF and passed me going down the road...the Jeep landed on either the brake rotor or shock mount and sparks were flying everywhere!! I had to put it in 4LO to get it up onto the curb and out of traffic. No-one was injured and no other cars were hit, so that's a good thing and something to be thankful for.

You must be registered for see images attach

Inside of the wheel damaged by the brake rotor:
You must be registered for see images attach

Needless to say, I was IRATE!! The shop sent two guys down to where I was to put the wheel back on (which had rolled a LONG way down the road BTW)...one of the guys was the one who screwed it up and he actually had the balls to ask me where the lug nuts were!! Believe me, he got an earful and he deserved it...he was an arrogant little prick.

As of now, the shop is going to check the shock mount, replace the brake rotor, replace the wheel, have a body shop re-attach or replace the fender, and re-align the rear bumper as it was shoved backwards a little bit. They provided us a rental car and we know the manager pretty well so I'm hoping they take care of it and make it right.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...one of the guys was the one who screwed it up and he actually had the balls to ask me where the lug nuts were!!
Shoulda said 'Gee you tell me, you were the last one to handle them' :mad: laugh.gif

This is actually the second story like this I've seen in the past couple of days. Sad to think of all the poor little brain cells going to waste in some peoples' heads :rolleyes:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoulda said 'Gee you tell me, you were the last one to handle them' :mad: laugh.gif

This is actually the second story like this I've seen in the past couple of days. Sad to think of all the poor little brain cells going to waste in some peoples' heads :rolleyes:

Actually, I did...but it wasn't quite as nice sounding... :D

tbaldridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The very same thing happend to one of our work vans about six months ago...took it in for an oil change and rotation of the tires and halfway down the road driver's side front came flying off! It makes you wonder what the hell some of these mechanics are thinking??? Probably doped out of their minds on pain pills or something!
Sorry about your JK man...They'll get it fixed for you....hopefully! just tell them not to let their "lugnut" guy touch it anymore!!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazing. Hell, I rotate my tires myself, and I double check just to make sure I am not crazy and forgot a lugnut or a wheel. I'll go through them all, and then do another run around just to check that they are tight.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for not updating ya'll, but I did get the Jeep back last week and they fixed everything that I asked them to plus a couple things that I didn't notice...still going strong with all 4 wheels on the ground!! nana.gif \\:D/

BTW, take a listen to this - it had me falling out of the chair laughing the day that it happened:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHT84A5t418&feature=channel_page

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to hear noone was hurt, if it was front wheel It would have been scarier I suppose..
Damn those people, they better give you free oil change for life.

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have rolled the tire back to the shop and thrown it at them...

your job is to tighten lug nuts and change brakes. please dont tell me your I.Q. can not handle these task. I'm pretty sure the Japanese have monkeys for these jobs.

no offence to other Mechanical Service providers. but this would have had me bouncing. partly cause they dont make my wheels anymore, and partly cause, you could have died...

Glad your alright and they are making it better for you. Also glad I could vent about incompetent mechanics.