AZ JKJ Box Canyon of the Hassayampa

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today, the AZ section of JKJ organized a BBQ in the Box Canyon of the Hassayampa. It is a gorgeous section of Arizona located just outside the historic town of Wickenburg. The weather was absolutely perfect and there was a great turnout. My mother and I took quads while the rest of the crew was in the KJs. Most brought family, friends, and pets as well, which just made for more fellowship on the trail. I believe the rest of the turnout was:

rkeegstra
corwyyn
M&P40
azmotoman
Seth (of LOST fame and glory)
o8k
ram50
AZKJ

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys have the best off road opportunities and places. Looks like a lot of fun.

Dave

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go, some pictures of another great Arizona day in the sun wheeling, hanging out and grilling. It doesn't get much better than this.

I tried to get pics of everyone, but I was kept busy most of the day slaving over a hot grill and didn't get many good ones this trip. Sorry I didn't get any pics of the co-pilots and all the puppies...

Kevin... be sure to keep us posted on what was wrong with the Red Beast.

Airing down in the riverbed...

SethX9 and his monster TJ. With 35" tires, this is one serious off road rig...

M&P40 with his well equipped Renegade...

Here's azmotoman...

desertkj on his ATV...

rkeegstra rolling into camp...

Here we have RAM50...

Corwyyn racing through the water...

o8k sraying water all the way down the canyon...

Thanks everyone for a really good day!!! Hope to see ya on the trail soon....

AJ and Beth

Last edited:

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazing photos ,looks like a great day was had by all, i wish we had similar meets in the UK ,and as many diverse landscapes and space as you guys have got in the US.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off I would like to say it was a great day - good food, good friends, and a beautiful place to enjoy it all. Next, a huge 'thank you' to all who helped get me and my poor Jeep out of the canyon, and a special 'Above and Beyond' award to Mr. Sensitivity himself AJ (and his lovely wife Beth). They abandoned their plans for further exploration to ensure I made it home safe, and I know how much AJ wanted to keep dirt under his tires :D I'll crawl under tomorrow to try and figure out exactly what went wrong and what I need to do to fix it.

I got a few pics today but found only three that I really felt like sharing, so here they are:

Heading into the canyon in the morning. What fun to go running thru the water!
You must be registered for see images attach

This is a shot of the riverbed looking west from where we were all having fun doing high-speed runs and splashing everything in sight:

And this is a shot of a wonderful classic - he pulled into the parking lot at the McDonald's and was waiting for more folks to show for a drive (kind of like us):

2003KJ

Reaction score
Nice pics! Splashing through water pictures = way cool :)

Whaddya do to your Jeep Kevin?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Corwyyn......what happened to your jeep?? Hope you got it fixed.

Dave

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corwyyn......what happened to your jeep?? Hope you got it fixed.
Not sure, I haven't had the courage to crawl under and take a look this morning. I was able to drive home so if there is anything wrong I'd say it's most likely in the t-case area. Once I find out I'll post in the other thread so we don't clog this one up, that way everyone can enjoy the pictures :)

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o8k, ram50, and I tried a creative way to get to the trailhead by taking a side road in to the Belmont Mountain trail up to Vulture Mine Road. We hit recently fenced off private land and a tributary from the Central Arizona Project canal (protected by a serious electric fence) and had to try a few different ways before we finally made it to a bridge that crosses the canal. We were about three hours late :eek: .

o8k goes nose down crossing in front of the pumping station between the Hayden-Rhodes Aqueduct and the new side canal which was not on any of our maps (note that pictures are location stamped for the geographically curious):

Dakota does the puppy dog eyes thing:

The slot canyon portion of Box Canyon:

ram50 playing in the water:

SethX9 takes his turn - note that this was taken from the tower seen in the previous picture (which I expect is for water level monitoring):

AZKJ goes down the canyon:

...and comes back with his headlights on, forcing an underexposure - if I was the sensitive type I would have been upset:

Russ

SethX9

Reaction score
I made a profile over here just so I could say 'Howdy' and thanks to everyone for making a relaxing afternoon in such a beautiful part of the world. Always impressed with how great the folks I meet Jeepin' are and that Saturday was no exception. As soon as Aaron (my co-pilot that day) send me his pics I'll add them to the thread.

Look forward to seeing everyone out on the trail again!

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great posts to everyone. And Thanks to everyone for your patience whilest we found our way up there so late due to my less than favorable navigation skills. =D I had a great time just hanging out eating and visiting with everyone.

Corwyyn, Good to hear you made it home under your own steam. Hope you get that boot replaced soon and cheaply. =) I looked under my jeep yesterday and its an inverted piece of rubber (no like any CV boot ive seen) that seems to protect what ever gearing is in that part of the drive shaft and TX case.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and by the way, how come someone always takes a picture of me in my jeep w/ cows in the background?

:D

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and by the way, how come someone always takes a picture of me in my jeep w/ cows in the background?

:D
Maybe they sense that little bit of Texas in ya... :p

OK, thanks to Russ and Casey I figured out what the ultimate problem was on my Jeep. And since this is the picture thread I might as well post it here:

Wound up tearing the rubber boot on the rear companion flange on the front propeller shaft on some previous run. I think it might have been my award-winning run thru the mud puddle up on the rim :D but I don't know for sure. Anyway, time to see what the dealer wants for one, or maybe I'll hit up one of the guys doing an SFA conversion and see if they can get me one.

EDIT: OK, ok, ok. So I'm not real conversant on what all is down in this area of the Jeep. Is this a CV joint on the end of the propeller shaft, and that mounts to the companion flange on the output shaft of the t-case? Help, I'm confused and want to be sure I'm calling things what they actually are (and not just blowing smoke out my rear).

Last edited:

RAM 50

Reaction score
Maybe they sense that little bit of Texas in ya... :p

OK, thanks to Russ and Casey I figured out what the ultimate problem was on my Jeep. And since this is the picture thread I might as well post it here:

Wound up tearing the rubber boot on the rear companion flange on the front propeller shaft on some previous run. I think it might have been my award-winning run thru the mud puddle up on the rim :D but I don't know for sure. Anyway, time to see what the dealer wants for one, or maybe I'll hit up one of the guys doing an SFA conversion and see if they can get me one.

EDIT: OK, ok, ok. So I'm not real conversant on what all is down in this area of the Jeep. Is this a CV joint on the end of the propeller shaft, and that mounts to the companion flange on the output shaft of the t-case? Help, I'm confused and want to be sure I'm calling things what they actually are (and not just blowing smoke out my rear).

Hey dude, ya your right on the terminology, this is a different design on the CV boot. Kinda nasty on how yours tore open. Hope they don't charge an arm to fix it for ya.

BTW guys I got the AVI's of some ya running the water trail, when I get some more time I'll post them on You Tube, or you can hit me up and I'll send them to ya. Also does anyone have pics of me hitting through the water in the Canyon?? I want to post some of them on Myspace..

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, sorry i have not been posting up lately, with xmas around the corner i have been working, eating, and sleeping :(
so i wanted to take some time and say thank you to all, i had a great time, and an extra thank you to AJ for slaving over the grill for all of us.

casey here are the pics of you runnin the canyon that i have:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.