AUX Input For RBQ HU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also if that if you have another device plugged into the 10 pin OEM AUX input you are able to daisy chain that device, aka the rear mounted cd changer or uconnect system.

if you can't tell i am **** when it comes to OEM AV systems

Jcdes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm bringing this back from the dead but I just did the AUX mod on my RBQ because the 6 disc changer just quit after a battery replacement a while back and I got tired of the radio programming. I just cut 2 traces on the board and installed a switching stereo jack (radio shack 274-0246 part). Now when I want to use the mp3 player I just plug it in and it automatically switches to it no need to press any buttons. If anybody is still interested I can post pictures that I took. I do work with electronics on a daily basis so soldering for me was a breeze but this is a pretty easy job if you can solder and have patience. All it takes is 5 wires a soldering iron with a decent tip, multimeter to check continuity and a bit of patience. Credits go to Fixin_IT over at Reddit for the original RBK V1 and V2 write up and pics. Fuelie from cumminsforum also has a great write up on the V2 which is the closest to our RBQ (Only 1 connection changes).

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm bringing this back from the dead but I just did the AUX mod on my RBQ because the 6 disc changer just quit after a battery replacement a while back and I got tired of the radio programming. I just cut 2 traces on the board and installed a switching stereo jack (radio shack 274-0246 part). Now when I want to use the mp3 player I just plug it in and it automatically switches to it no need to press any buttons. If anybody is still interested I can post pictures that I took. I do work with electronics on a daily basis so soldering for me was a breeze but this is a pretty easy job if you can solder and have patience. All it takes is 5 wires a soldering iron with a decent tip, multimeter to check continuity and a bit of patience. Credits go to Fixin_IT over at Reddit for the original RBK V1 and V2 write up and pics. Fuelie from cumminsforum also has a great write up on the V2 which is the closest to our RBQ (Only 1 connection changes).

Absolutely! This would be an excellent resource and addition to our body of knowledge here. Plus, I really want an AUX input on my RBQ radio.

Pictures of the traces on the PCB would be great, along with explanations of what you did. I can handle a soldering iron, my dad (Motorola field tech) taught me well. lol.

Jcdes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'll be home for the weekend, I'll upload the pic I took.

Jcdes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here it is... RBQ internal 6 disc changer with AUX port. After you're done just put radio in FM mode and as soon as the cable is inserted it will switch automatically to your external music playing device, pull the aux cable out from the radio and back to FM radio you go. Hope this helps all the people who need it like I did. Thanks to the people I mentioned in my previous post for their RBK mod tutorials and pictures which led me to do this one on the RBQ. I used hot glue to secure the cables in place at more than one location just to make sure. I used very thin shielded solid core wrapping wire. Hope this helps all of you guys who lost their CD player when changing the battery like I did, no need to pay 100's of dollars just a bit of patience and decent soldering skills... You will need to drill for the AUX port and also cut the corner on the faceplate's PCB (just a bit, there's no components or traces in that area) or you can just make the wires long enough to mount it elsewhere. If you have any doubts just follow the RBK tutorials from the people I mentioned above along with this diagram. Have fun!

Attachments

• RBQ.jpg
    RBQ.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 113
  • RBQ 6 Disc traces and switch.jpg
    RBQ 6 Disc traces and switch.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work! And it appears very simple to do. The trick was determining which pinouts on the radio PCB were the channel inputs and outputs.

With this mod done, you could also connect a bluetooth module to the aux in and use your phone or mp3 player wirelessly.

Jcdes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work! And it appears very simple to do. The trick was determining which pinouts on the radio PCB were the channel inputs and outputs.

With this mod done, you could also connect a bluetooth module to the aux in and use your phone or mp3 player wirelessly.

That's right!

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your RBQ has a different faceplate than mine... about where you installed your 3.5mm jack, I have rotary knobs for balance and fade. It doesnt look like enough room for a jack, but maybe that's a spacial illusion.

Looking it up, wow.. there are a few versions of this radio code. I see there are even some that have a factory 3.5mm jack in the same spot you put yours!

***EDIT***
NOT factory 3.5mm, its a refurb'er that mods them for 3.5mm input jacks.

http://www.1factoryradio.com/chrysler-dodge-02-07-radio-amfm-6-disc-cd-aux-in-rbq-p56038622aj-slider-version/

Interesting...

Jcdes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to fit it just left of the sliders. Or hey! Just go crazy and try long wires and attach it somewhere else like next to the lighter/power outlet.

Attachments

• Slider Mod.jpg
    Slider Mod.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
You should be able to fit it just left of the sliders. Or hey! Just go crazy and try long wires and attach it somewhere else like next to the lighter/power outlet.
Good suggestion. :)

I now have an aftermarket radio which came with front and rear inputs. I used the rear one and ran an extension down by the parking brake. Much more convenient and no more dang(ling) wires.

taylorlib

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up I searched all over the web looking for a way to add an aux and the found this.Great mod. I just completed it yesterday. I build hot rods for a hobby and have done my share of wiring and have a few comments for others that perform this mod. Having no experience working on circuit boards I was surprised how small all the connections that I had to connect to were I would suggest using a micro soldering iron and probably some sort of magnifying glasses. The connections on channel 1&2 out are very small. I was able to get by with what I had but just thought would mention this to others. Thanks again

JEEPMAN2004

Reaction score
I have a connector to the cd changer plug in the back that goes into my ipod and i love it, even with all of it's quirks. I stayed with the stock head unit for cost and because I'm not crazy about someone breaking in to steal a fancy one, and if you change your mind in the future, you can always change it!

I did the same but, I cannot tune the volume up either via steering controls or the control knob on the factory head unit. Volume down is Ok but, somehow the volume up does not work after hooking up the aux cable from the 10-pin connector's right channel, left channel and the ground cables.
Do I have to wire some cables to have the volume up feature again?

HatterMT

Reaction score
This is great! How do I know what radio I have? It's at the shop Soni can't pull the radio right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HatterMT

Reaction score
Thanks, I will do that. I found a PDF that has all the different models, I think it’s the RBP. But I’ll check the build list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk