Auto Trans dying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maximumrob

Reaction score
Folks,

My wife's 2WD auto Liberty intermittently downshifts very hard when she slows to a stop from a higher gear. It's hard enough to cause a "thunk" in the vehicle. Most of the time, it's fine, but occasionally, it causes a raised eyebrow.

Thoughts on what this might be?

Thank you gents.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"One wheel drive" (biggrin)

How many miles have you got on it. Perhaps its time for a powerflush and filter change?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably just drivetrain slack like many people complain about. I wouldnt worry about it unless it gets worse. O:)

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
probably just drivetrain slack like many people complain about. I wouldnt worry about it unless it gets worse. O:)
Yep. I've noticed some hesitation mostly if you start to get on the brakes to slow down and then get on the gas again (like if youre coming to a red light that just turned green). Happens rarely, but does happen. I dont get a "thunk" though...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gosh.. I do with the powertrax.. It adds ALOT of drivetrain slack.. :-s I worry about the ujoints since they take so many hard hits if you get on the gas to fast.. :-s

maximumrob

Reaction score
I also thought flush and filter change, so we did it...unfortunately, no change in symptoms. There is no thunk or clunking upon acceleration, only when the auto downshifts itself to first when slowing.

I'll get under the truck today and make sure that all motor mounts are tight and check the u-joints.

We're really praying that we don't have to buy ourselves a transmission rebuild for Christmas.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are getting up there in miles it is probably just normal slack like everyone has said. Good call on the ****** service though, better to play it safe.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably normal. Rember you are driving a truck not a car and there will always be more noise, drive line slack, etc than most cars.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maximumrob said:
It's clearly a thunk, it's clearly new, and it's clearly not acceptable driveline slack.
It ay be a u-joint getting ready to go. I would definitely get under the KJ and take a look...

psinsyd

Reaction score
Corwyyn said:
maximumrob said:
It's clearly a thunk, it's clearly new, and it's clearly not acceptable driveline slack.
It ay be a u-joint getting ready to go. I would definitely get under the KJ and take a look...

Definitely have to go with Corwyyn on this one. I had noticed my thunk getting a bit more noticeable and a bit worse. Threw in some Spicer ujoints with the zirc fittings on them, and no more thunk!

=D>

maximumrob

Reaction score
We went rounds on this one. I checked the motor mounts and u-joints...neither were loose or wiggly. We took it to the stealer and he wiped the transmission's shift history. He claimed that because the Check Engine light wasn't on, that there cannot be mechanical problems. That seemed to fix it for a few days.

Now my wife called me this evening and said that the solenoid sound we're used to hearing is more prolonged and louder than before.

Looks like it's back to the dealer.

Blue KJ in PA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 ****** died at 36,842 (so I got to pay $100 deductible since you know there is no wiggle room for DC in a warranty even for something critical like a ******) but it was making a noise like a fire siren wailing to call all the volunteers in the town. Prior to the day the nosie started there was no indication of any issues other than a shudder at 2000rpm but that was there from almost day 1 ( I bought Chysler Certified used in 04 with 13K on the odometer).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.