Atf never changed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PAJeeper87

Reaction score
Hey, I have to replace the trans pan on my wife's KK (one spot of rust is a little crunchy) this in it's self is no big deal. Problem is the ATF has never been changed as far as I know and it has almost 120k on it. Fuild doesn't smell bad but a little on the burnt side. Should I add some kind of friction additives or just put the Mopar atf4? I've had good luck with Lucas stop slip (limped my tj for almost 20k with it haha)

-keep jeepin

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were mine I would drain it and change the filter, and change the pan at the same time. I would not flush it. That might change out half the fluid or something, and then I’d do it again at about 150K miles. By then, you’d have about 3/4 new fluid in there and it should be fine for another 50-60K. You could do shorter intervals like 30K if you’re doing heavy towing. I think it would be a mistake to do nothing and keep running on the original ATF for very much longer.

PAJeeper87

Reaction score
Thanks man, I was just worried that because the fuild was never changed that it would start slipping when I put the fresh in.(I wasn't going to reuse the old fuild) That's what killed the trans in n my TJ but that also had 235k so it was probably on it was out haha thanks again!