AT tires for 17 inch wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johninva

Reaction score
I recently traded my old XJ for a 2006 Liberty Limited, which has the factory 17 inch wheels. I need to replace the tires, and I'm considering the Bridgestone Dueler A/T 695. There aren't a lot of A/T tires for this size, and I'm a fan of Bridgestone. The other alternative would be to go with a so-called highway tire (Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza), which is more like what came on the Jeep from the factory.

Should I go for the A/T tires? I sometimes (but rarely) drive in mud or snow, but most of the time I just use this on the street. I also do a little light towing (utility trailer -- load has sometimes been as much as 3000 pounds).

On my old Jeep I had Michelin LTX tires, which were great. I've considered those for the Liberty but I'm into Bridgestone these days. And I get the feeling that this Liberty is a lot less of a truck than the old Cherokee was.

I think the A/Ts would look better, but they probably won't last as long as the car tires.

John

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 17" rims are not good for A/T tire choices. I had to take my OEM tires off after 15,000 miles because they were just lousy. At the time all I could find was Hercules Terra-Trac in the OEM size and put them on The KJ turned into a whole different vehicle.

Tires are everything and it is a Jeep and shouldn't have car tires on it anyway. Get A/T's and you won't regret it. Put the right tires on it and it will be just as good as an XJ for your use. You will see when you have more experience with the KJ.

Just my personal experience/opinion.

Welcome to the board.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cooper makes nice tires, Discoverer ATR, they have our size 235/65. I went with very similar Nokian tires, I am happy with them so far. I don't do off road, but I noticed the difference in loose surface and light mud.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size are you looking for again? I've always had 16" rims on my KJ, so am not familiar with what fits on the 17's (mostly regarding width).

If I am looking at the right size, Pirelli makes a Scorpion ATR in 235/65R17. Great tires.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
New scorpion ATRs are just too fancy with their curves and "designer" looking tread. :) The old one was much better, I think Scorpion A/T was the older one. Not sure about the ratings on that one.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firestone Destination A/T - 235/65/17 - $132 ea. @ Tirerack

You must be registered for see images

Yokohama Geolandar AT-S - 235/65/17 - $122 ea. @ Tirerack

You must be registered for see images

I ran the Yokos (AT+II) for 6.5 years & have had the Destinations on since August 2008. Both are good meats.

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yokos are also nice, Mavis used to sell them at good prices when I was shopping, if you will get them locally, $120.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm considering putting Toyo Open Country At's on mine when my time comes. They come in 235/65/17 and 235/70/17. I'd probably go with the 235/70.