Anyone with any 2007 2.8 CRD KJ Jeep Cherokee immobiliser knowledge ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MXSST

Reaction score
Hello all
Battery was allowed to to discharge and go flat, new battery fitted, now when the ignition is switched on the immobiliser light flashes twice and then stays on solid with no power to the starter relay and the other ignition functions. I am assuming that the two flashes of the immobiliser light before the light stays on solid is telling me something about something ???
Question "would the SKIM key reader have lost it's code"
Have plugged in a OBD code reader in and had a "failed to communicate message" fired back to me on the OBD screen etc.
I know that some of the Chrysler range of vehicles use the DRB 3 protocol for their engine code reading ? and I will need to try a dedicated code reader that is KJ Jeep Cherokee friendly !!!
Anyone with any ideas ???
Thank you
Phil

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can try download the 2006 Jeep KJ Service Manuals here for a description on how the system works....2007 KJ manuals not available! I will look through the 2006 manuals to investigate.

You refer to this as a "Cherokee"....is this a non-USA KJ?

Just for fun remove the ASD Relay and jumper female pins 30 and 87 together inside the empty socket and see it fires up!

I had this problem on my 2002 Export 2.5 L CRD due to a wiring fault on the ASD Relay.....I was able to run the Jeep like this until I had a chance to diagnose the problem.

You may have to take it to the Dealers to re-program the ECM as it may have lost the SKIM information!

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As regards your query "can the SKIM Key Reader have lost its code?" the answer is NO.

The SKIM module which sits at the top of the steering column has a wire loop enclosing the ignition key entry slot. The SKIM reads the code off the key. If the SKIM Module is happy with the code read it sends it up to the ECM. The SKIM Module is a "Write Once Only" module...it cannot be re-programed!

So if the SKIM Module Fails you have to buy a Virgen one from the Dealers who can program this new blank SKIM Module with the correct code.

If the SKIM Module is not happy with the code read off the programmed key....it informs the ECM of this fact. This sets the Red Led Skim light to flash I believe.

If the SKIM Module is happy with the Key Code...it sends the code up to the ECM. If the ECM is happy that this code matches what it has in its memory it will enable the ASD Relay to energize and the engine can turn over and run.

If the ECM Module is not happy with the code received from the SKIM module....it stops the ASD Relay from energizing....and also does some other secret action otherwise you could hot wire the ASD Relay and steal the Jeep!

The Red SKIM light stays on solid I believe....Jeep will turn over, fire and run for a few seconds and then die.

So more likely the ECM has to be re-programmed with the correct code....or you have a wiring problem!

I may have the Red Led flashing/On solid story the wrong way around...I will look it up in the 2006 KJ Manual tomorrow...years since I worked in this area!

Sevenmilesout

Reaction score
Hello all
Battery was allowed to to discharge and go flat, new battery fitted, now when the ignition is switched on the immobiliser light flashes twice and then stays on solid with no power to the starter relay and the other ignition functions. I am assuming that the two flashes of the immobiliser light before the light stays on solid is telling me something about something ???
Have plugged in a OBD code reader in and had a "failed to communicate message" fired back to me on the OBD screen etc.
I know that some of the Chrysler range of vehicles use the DRB 3 protocol for their engine code reading ? and I will need to try a dedicated code reader that is KJ Jeep Cherokee friendly !!!
Thank you
Phil
Hello there,

I have the same KJ ...2007 2.8crd & my name is Phil.

I think your problem may be the ignition lock actuator. This video is a bit long-winded but he gets there in the end & it's quite useful watching the steps to diagnose. Have a look around the 19th minute.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Best of luck,

Phil

GottaCRDKJ

Reaction score
Hello all
Thank you
Phil
Have to tried the other ignition key? The SKIM might have triggered antii-theft with the battery reset. If it's a CRD then it will use a DRB III to be programmed, the SKIM (security key immobilizer module) is what is used for security. You'll need to get the skim key code from a dealership in order to make any changes or replace the skim itself. www.controllertech.com is where you can rent a drb3 or the emulator, as the actual tool is getting harder to come by. Most dealerships don't have the tool anymore or a tech who knows how to work on that vehicle or system. I am a former Chrysler tech and have done the programming in a daily job and to my own CRD jeep last year with the rental tool. Unless you're using a professional grade scan tool like a Snap On scanner, you're not going to get communication anyway.

Latest posts

Members online