Anyone with a older KJ finding any rust around the

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steepcreekfreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welding edges of the flipper gate edges? It looks like the welds have sprung open and water is getting into it.

Wonder how much this is going to cost me. ](*,)

steepcreekfreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 03, I got to much rapped up in it to trade it yet.

Taking it to my body guy next week for an estimate.

Looks like a bad design as far as water on a weld is concerned. They have the top edge of the weld facing up hill so water can run in rather than facing it down so water runs over it like a shingle. Once you get some salt and grime in there your F'd and whalah rust!!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check with warranty. There is a certain warranty for body panels on the Jeep. Idk how long the warranty is for though.

steepcreekfreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jerbacher,

I am taking mine to Gary down at Marlboro body and paint. this guys does great work. He's done body and paint on Rolls and ferrari's.

I'll let you know how much to fix it.

In the mean time you should get some rust inhibitor and spay on the weld to keep water out. They sell this stuff that hards to a waxy like material that sticks to the metal.

If you want I can send you some pics of my jeep from indian creek Pa. to your email. I can't attach them to the web here as I do not have them on a URL.

Later

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mmmmm

Guys I had the same problem on mine, which is a 03, I also had rust on the of the doors, and tailgate seams, dealer fixed it free of charge, they had it for a week, check with the dealer

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05, and mine has some rust starting across the top edge of the gate that is covered by the rubber. I just noticed it a couple weeks ago, but mine is soon to go in for the ball joint recall, so the dealer will def be doin something about it.