Anyone have one???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone using one of these guards??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...2672&viewitem=&salenotsupported#ht_3416wt_927

I contacted the seller to ask if i could see the instructions, and if they didn't have a digital copy to tell me what the manufacturer and model number is so i can research it myself. He replied..

our vendor did not provide any installation instruction, we always recommend all customers to bring it to installer for best result. so far we have no returns or fitment problems.
thanks.

Hmm, interesting. I talked to a few shops around here back when a friend of mine was trying to figure out how to install some aftermarket stuff on his truck, most of them replied that they won't touch it without manufacturers instructions for liability reasons.

I would plan on installing it myself so thats not a big problem, but i find it funny they state this but most installers i know wouldn't work on it anyway!

Overall its a good looking brush guard, and the price is good too. Unless someone else can recommend another option around $200 shipped??

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea who even makes the thing? The sellers on eBay that have this model won't cough up the info. Just curious if the manufacturer could be found and contacted.

Yeah i've seen that style on ebay that your asking about also. I have also seen a few of them for sale on craigslist and elsewhere. They seem pretty flimsy to me, and most of the time they are painted to match. The one i have seen in person looks like sheet metal and plastic.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Some people have found a way to have hooks with a brush guard....:)

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one of those, well maybe a different one but the same model.

It hooks up on where your tow hooks would go/are. You slide in a plate with 2 bolts welded to them and then fit the support plates for the brush guard. Very easy.

You will loose any tow point on the front though!

Ok, well i don't have any tow hooks on the front so no big deal.

I want pheasant protection (and a place to put some lights) as around here thats a big issue. I nearly took out my grille one night, and the headlight another. And the same night i saw a car smash on his brakes and i stopped to check on them and they took one in the windshield...

If i take a pheasant hit i hope for the windshield, i have full glass coverage with no deductible. It would cost me a $250 deductible if it took out anything else.

We had a neighbor put a rock through the wifes rear window via a lawnmower last summer, called a shop and they did at home replacement and even vacuumed out the car when they were done. Never had to deal with the insurance company or pay a deductible, no rate increase, etc...

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people have found a way to have hooks with a brush guard....:)

I can see how to fabricate that as well....

Good to know its an easy bolt on for the guard. I might fabricate some tow points if i need them later on, but its usually me towing others, not the other way around.

Speaking of which, got to use the four wheel drive the other night, we all gather around the municipal airport for the fireworks show here, it rained earlier that day, and where everyone was parking in the ditches was plenty wet. You could have made a few hundred bucks just pulling people out all night.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The "sheet metal and plastic" ones you speak of were probably the Mopar accessory guards. I have one of those in the garage.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "sheet metal and plastic" ones you speak of were probably the Mopar accessory guards. I have one of those in the garage.

Yep, pretty flimsy looking. Are you saying then that the one hyedipin posted about is different and stronger? They sure look the same.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is a huge difference.
The problem is, we don't have part numbers:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

then I got this as the picture of the 2nd one, which looks much different.

and then there is catcher123's bar, it actually has plastic overlay on top of bumper:

You must be registered for see images

(If cardomain blocks it, check it here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/716339)

Check this video at 1:00 mark for the one you posted above and 1:09/1:18 for the other one... Damn that's a lot of bull bars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wfi7VgQjIc

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the one you got is a lot different than the picture, other than the embossed Jeep logo and a bit of relief around the opening, etc..

But the question is how heavy/strong is it??

I think i'm going to get the one i posted a link to, $238 shipped. I just have to save up some cash and sell a few odds and ends to raise the money for it.

I like the Aries one that looks similar but doesn't have that extra bar that goes up in the middle, but its another $100 dollars or more depending on where you buy it.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is strong, those horn looking bars to the sides "bull bars" are strong and sturdy not cheap metal, if it is the same thing I saw before. Good thing about yours is it has space for front license plate bracket. If there was a way to remove the headlight guards, I would just cut them, though, They make KJ look weak.

I think that price is nice, similar one is $344 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Blac...id=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:12|39:1|72:1171

Last edited:

LibertyTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aries, westin, romik and steelcraft all make similar bull bars, they all mount where the front tow hooks go and I installed mine in about 30 minutes by myself, bolts up easy and is sturdy, but I've read other posts that say you'll do more front end damage if you're involved in an accident, depending on impact, you may need to replace your hood. As far as shop's and liability, they're worried if your airbag's don't deploy in a frontal crash when they should have, could you sue them or if they install it worng. For a brush guard they work well and as a push bumper too, but off road took hooks are more functional. I don't think you could wrap a strap and get free with it. For my use, it was a good choice. The price too $260.00 shipped.

Attachments

• IMGA0013.jpg
    IMGA0013.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 16

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aries, westin, romik and steelcraft all make similar bull bars, they all mount where the front tow hooks go and I installed mine in about 30 minutes by myself, bolts up easy and is sturdy, but I've read other posts that say you'll do more front end damage if you're involved in an accident, depending on impact, you may need to replace your hood. As far as shop's and liability, they're worried if your airbag's don't deploy in a frontal crash when they should have, could you sue them or if they install it worng. For a brush guard they work well and as a push bumper too, but off road took hooks are more functional. I don't think you could wrap a strap and get free with it. For my use, it was a good choice. The price too $260.00 shipped.

Are you saying you got that one pictured for $260?? If so where the heck did you get it for that price?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is strong, those horn looking bars to the sides "bull bars" are strong and sturdy not cheap metal, if it is the same thing I saw before. Good thing about yours is it has space for front license plate bracket. If there was a way to remove the headlight guards, I would just cut them, though, They make KJ look weak.

I think that price is nice, similar one is $344 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Blac...id=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:12|39:1|72:1171

I like the look of the headlight guards, and its one reason i want it. Considering the cost of a cracked headlight replacement i would rather have the guards over them. Though on the one i'm considering you can remove the little rods that go inbetween the bars.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Hyed, I don't remember seeing that video before and my jeep is in it........haha

I saw jeepdawg's pic's over on LOST but not this.......??

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Hyed, I don't remember seeing that video before and my jeep is in it........haha

I saw jeepdawg's pic's over on LOST but not this.......??

Dave

Wow, talk about late discovery... :)

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got the same one from westin. the only difference is i took out the headlight guards.
sorry for the weird angle . there was a car parked in front of me

Last edited: