Anyone ever wanted to..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the suspension off your jeep and paint it? I am really thinking about do this next summer and was wondering what everyone thought the best way to sand all the parts would be. The only ones that will be hard to sand will be the spindles and the forks since they are unfinished and rusted to heck..

I will probably only do the rear axle, rear upper A-arm, front lower a-arms, spindles, and clevis forks..

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean like RED or YELLOW? Don't they come in these colors out of the factory and actually get "protection" painted to black? only the springs and hydro..

why paint?

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't they got the plastic coatings?

If not, it was worth a try #-o

tjfisher*CRD

Reaction score
bead blast the parts take a thinner like laquar thinner and wash them .. them most auto parts places have a Rhino coat spary cans in a lot of shades liek dupicolor they make some nice efect paints too

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plastic costing? No... Some of the parts are painted but I want to paint them again b/c they have a few rust spots.. Nothing that will look gay.. Probably Flat black..

Getting them Bead blasted is sweet and all. but I cannot do that and am not going to pay someone to do that.. O:)

tjfisher*CRD

Reaction score
i can get one for everything and a cage for harbor frieght for about hunderd buck then you can do everything you evr thought about cleaning up i need to pick one up to finsh the motorcycle im restoring

cowdogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An angle grinder with a wire wheel and sanding wheel and you'd be ready to paint in no time. And, yes I have painted some of the components of the suspension..........red.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you probably would have to powdercoat them cause i dont think that paint would last very long on there unless you got something that is pretty durable

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
especko said:
you probably would have to powdercoat them cause i dont think that paint would last very long on there unless you got something that is pretty durable

I thought that, but the lower control arms are painted and they do fine.. The only rust spots is where they have been hit..

DannyP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would think if you painted the springs that it would crack and peel off due to flexing all the time? But the control arms etc i think would be fine i think it would look pretty good

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DannyP said:
i would think if you painted the springs that it would crack and peel off due to flexing all the time? But the control arms etc i think would be fine i think it would look pretty good

Springs are already painted.. I didnt say I wanted to do those.. O:)

DannyP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I will probably only do the rear axle, rear upper A-arm, front lower a-arms, spindles, and clevis forks..
awww my fauilt sorry about that i need to read more carefully (Aeh)

VTjeepguy

Reaction score
i use to paint the suspension and frame on my wrangler every spring to give it the bling bling effect. i dont remember what paint i used but it was better than the regular spray paint, may have even been under carriage stuff, but i dont remember. my liberty needs it badly, after dealing with the salty VT roads and equally salty cape cod conditions, beach driving, etc...

onebigbagostupid

Reaction score
hey

there is a military grade paint called krylon, i use it to paint my guns, it holds up really well i put 2 coats on about 2 years ago and it has only crack in one spot. i bang up my guns pretty good and it hasn't chipped it gives a good clean but trail ready look and can hold up to pretty much anything. a paint set of about 3 cans, one black one OD and one coyote tan run about 20 bucks at wal-mart.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, jeepjeepster, if it wouldnt cost way more, doing the parts in red or the a color similar to atlantic blue would look pretty awesome.

Latest posts

Members online