anyone else had this problem with noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Liberty

Reaction score
NOISE when taking off?

I have a 07 Limited with just 9k miles and the other day I noticed that when I either was stopped or had slowed to make a turn or take off from a traffic light I would get this noise like a roar or something similar to that and it would last for about 10 seconds Any ideas from that description on what it may be? I know it is not easy to diagnose from something like a message forum....but had thought I had seen something like this posted before...but the search for that thread has ome up "no results". I have to take it in to the dealer soon for my passenger window (which is not going back up hardly at all) and I will mention the "roaring" noise to them of course...but thought it would be nice to get an idea from you guys on here! Thanks in advance!

07Liberty
North Carolina

Last edited:

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure someone else with more experience can chime in, but when you say roaring it hit me, are you sure it isn't the fan placed behind the radiator? Perhaps it is kicking in for short periods of time to cool down the radiator/engine. Also, is your A/C on?

07Liberty

Reaction score
I appreciate the response MadDog.........
I have had the A/C on and off when this has happened. I was thinking about it last night and trying to determine when it most happened and it seems it has been a right turn while going up a grade. I am not positive that has been the case everytime but thinking back last weekend when it did happen that was the case. Thanks for your suggestions and I will have the dealer look into it when I take it in for my passenger window problem. I will keep you posted.

Thanks!
07Liberty
North Carolina

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where is the sound coming from?

if you get wheel noises when turning it can be hubs

is anything else going on while you turn? downshifting, braking, etc?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Do you have the towing package? Does it sound like a "roaring" rush of air, possibly?

If so, that's what you hear, the mechanical fan kicking in.

07Liberty

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the replies. I think it may be coming from my AC. I have run it with and without the AC and I did not hear it everytime with the AC running but I did not hear it at all with the AC not running. I have an appointment with the Jeep dealership for my passenger window not working properly so I will have it checked for sure then....thanks everyone....and no, I do not have the towing package. Have a great week!

07Liberty

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the replies. I think it may be coming from my AC. I have run it with and without the AC and I did not hear it everytime with the AC running but I did not hear it at all with the AC not running. I have an appointment with the Jeep dealership for my passenger window not working properly so I will have it checked for sure then....thanks everyone....and no, I do not have the towing package. Have a great week!

07Liberty
The mechanical fan kicks in when the A/C is on.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you know what, does it sound more like a "brrr" that will actually go away when you shut the AC off? I have that, doesn't sound like the fan, sounds like the compressor or some crap. it has always done it, up to mid 90k's now and it still does and nothing has failed, knock on wood.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mechanical fan kicks in when the A/C is on.

Not necessarily true - the mechanical fan is just that - mechanical. It's always on at low speeds, I think when the engine reaches a certain RPM there's a clutch in there that lets it freespin since the assumption is the vehicle is moving and air is thus flowing through the radiator.

I do think it's the fan though. Mine has seemed really loud at times, and I do think it's primarily when the AC has been on.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mechanical fan has a viscous coupling that limits it's maximum speed, but it's always running. Once the air reaching the coupling gets to a predetermined temperature, a bi-metallic device locks the coupling and it can reach a higher speed.
The electric fan is controlled by the engine coolant temperature via the ECM, but is permanently on when the A/C is in use.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the towing package? Does it sound like a "roaring" rush of air, possibly?

If so, that's what you hear, the mechanical fan kicking in.

I have an 04 Liberty Sport with A/C & the towing package so it has both the electric fan (which I assume comes in when the transmission is hot) and a mechanical clutch fan. Recently I had the clutch fan replaced and now I notice a "roar" beneath the hood when its cold. Must be the new clutch fan. I haven't used the A/C in months (I live in Canada :D).

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I have an 04 Liberty Sport with A/C & the towing package so it has both the electric fan (which I assume comes in when the transmission is hot) and a mechanical clutch fan. Recently I had the clutch fan replaced and now I notice a "roar" beneath the hood when its cold. Must be the new clutch fan. I haven't used the A/C in months (I live in Canada :D).

Well in that case, yes you needed a new one (Dunno why it stopped working) because the "Roar" was definitely supposed to... Roar. :)

07Liberty

Reaction score
you know what, does it sound more like a "brrr" that will actually go away when you shut the AC off? I have that, doesn't sound like the fan, sounds like the compressor or some crap. it has always done it, up to mid 90k's now and it still does and nothing has failed, knock on wood.

You know, it does kind of sound that way. I will be bringing it to the dealership on Friday for that and a passenger window regulator! Thanks for all of the help!

07Liberty