Antenna Removal - It's stuck on there pretty good...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtalef

Reaction score
During most car washes, the employee will remove the antenna for me (sometimes they break he said) and then put it back on at the end of the car wash. Just today I tried removing it to take it to a different (closer) car wash and guess what? It's stuck, I cannot loosen that antenna at all. I don't think it's due to my being weak, I think it's either been cross threaded when put back on or it's stuck. Do I even need to worry about this issue? Has anyone had their antenna break off during a car wash? Any thoughts about how I could get it off?

Thanks.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Especially with how this antenna is mounted it will be removed quickly and violently once it gets wrapped around the brushes or pads.

I would remove it and replace with a "rubber ducky"(oops, my bad for those of you who saw the original typo, sorry.) type if you insist on using those types of car washes regularly. Or remove it yourself , just keep a 3/8" wrench in your glovebox. It should not be so tight that you can't get it off either. Sounds as if the last person who put it on for you has cross threaded it.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Definately sounds like its cross threaded.

Back shortly after I first got my Jeep I took it through one of those places, and they removed the antenna. They did a hell of a job removing the antenna and scratched the area up around it pretty good (thankfully not the paint)......washed it myself since that day.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my KJ through it's first auto wash with brushes, and I removed it first. I wouldn't want to see it getting whipped around the paint. I'd cry like a baby! sad2.gif

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
u tried removing it w/ pliers? sometimes it's just too tight for hand loosening it.....

i've removed the thing like once in a carwash before....never bothered any other time....doesnt hit the body itself...and it's stayed on everytime....
and for the record, i've gotten about 25-30 car washes...(and about 15 times hand washing)

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, those things are usually screwed on pretty tight. I used a monkey wrench to get mine off, as I replaced it with an antenna I got from antennax.com.......I tell you what, it is soooo much better than the stock antenna. The black flexible look matches the jeep really well, and I get about the same reception quality on the radio. and it doesn't hardly stick up very high, so you can run it through the carwash without any worries. I got mine for like 15 bucks or something, and bought one for my friend as a Christmas gift last December. They have a picture on their website if you click through the pictures I believe on page 13 of 16.

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my wife one of those flexible antennas from antennax.com also. It looks better, and won't break if it'***** by something. but the reception ***** compared to the stock antenna. that's the only bad part.