Another weird noise....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlappyKJ

Reaction score
Okay, I'm new here, and I've searched, so bear with me.

I have an 04 Liberty, had it for 2 months. I've noticed that after the engine warms up, I get a strange sound coming from the rear of the engine bay, pretty much right around the area between the gear shift and firewall. It only occurs when I take my foot off the gas, and I'm coasting, but it's a weird, kinda growling, gurgling sound. I don't feel any vibrations, and it doesn't really sound like anything is grinding, per say. Anyone else ever heard this, or have any ideas on it? Thanks in advance!

SlappyKJ

Reaction score
Perhaps I should also add that my 4WD works very well, but the AWD setting, I get big clunks, bumps and bangs when I steer with the AWD engaged...

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the 2nd post. Just to clarify I am assuming you have the Selec-Trac transfer case with Full Time 4WD and Part Time 4WD along with 2WD, Neutral and 4WD Low. If not you might be running in part time 4WD at the wrong times. If you do it's possibly a broken transfer case. For the 1st post check your fluid level and colors in engine, ****** and transfer case, look for signs of metal shaving or off colors. How long since your last ****** and transfer case fluid changes?

SlappyKJ

Reaction score
Yes, I do have the SelecTrac system. It seems that any time I run it in part-time, the steering just bumps and clunks a lot, but it's fine in full-time high. It also seemed okay in 4WD low, but I didn't do much steering when I had it in low.

As far as the fluid changes, I'm not sure. According to the dealer, they fully serviced the vehicle when it was traded, including all flushes (coolant, p/s, brake, trans and transfer case). How true that is, I'm definitely beginning to question. I'll have to take a look at my fluids ASAP. Any other ideas?