Another Ball Joint Recall Thread: Heat Shield Removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else had their "heats shields" removed as part of the latest LBJ recall? I just picked up the Jeep an hour ago or so and first thing I notice is that the heat sheilds are gone.

I went back in and asked about it, and was told that the clips rusted so bad that dude couldn't even get them back on. So he tossed them, and told me "I don't think you need them anyway". You don't think I need them, huh? That is reassuring.

So, do I need them or not? I'm about to call the service manager, and would like to sound a little smarter about this than I really am.

I have a bunch of before pics - once I take some "afters" I'll post 'em up.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: here is the before pic... doesn't look all that rusted to me.

You must be registered for see images attach

(please excuse my photoshop skills)

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so that phone call was swell...

[rant]

Service manager was not there - (he knows me because of the issues I've had with the last two times I've been there for service)

So I get one of the two service advisors who was either playing dumb, or was just dumb.... and of course he took the technician's side. Ok, fine - he doesn't know any better.

I ask him if he has a copy of the recall notice handy, and say "because you know what, I'm looking at a copy of it right now".

I walk him through it, he apologizes, doesn't really know what to do (or have the authority to do anything about it, I presume), and suggests that I bring it back and leave it there until Monday. Keep in mind that at this point he doesn't know where my heat shields are, or if they have others in stock.

Good times.

So the call ends with him promising me that the service manager would call me 1st thing on Monday to resolve this.

Yeah right...

So I escalated to the general manager of the entire dealership, who I am quite friendly with, gave him all the info, and he seemed to be a little steamed as well. He is personally going to take it up with the service manager and the shop steward on Monday. I trust the General Manager - he is a good person. I guess we'll see where this goes then.

Thanks for letting me rant.

[/rant]

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine was dinted to the side, you can see my pix on the other thread, looks like they are going to fall anytime. He probably just slapped them back

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the after pics for anyone interested:

You must be registered for see images attach

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great idea taking pictures.

Recall Question: Do I need to receive a letter or something before I can contact a dealer for this service? I bought my Liberty used.

Thanks,
Tim

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
still have my heat shield...

and no.....call up ur dealer..and tell them u want to get Recall f-23 done....
u have an 02...so ur VIN should be good

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Still got mine....see here

Cool, thanks for the link. They are actually sending someone to my office today to install them in the parking lot.... which was my suggestion. Ugh.

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jaysus said:
Cool, thanks for the link. They are actually sending someone to my office today to install them in the parking lot.... which was my suggestion. Ugh.

it only took 5 hours... but they showed up.

You must be registered for see images

I take additional photos once I get home.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my god, is that a hilarious shot, or is it just me?
There is no pad or anything, and he came probably swearing & cursing, just lay on the lot and say "damn man, i gotta do this and that, here stick them on, and there, done.."

- hey thanks, man..
- yea whatever.. blablablabla...

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
Oh my god, is that a hilarious shot, or is it just me?
There is no pad or anything, and he came probably swearing & cursing, just lay on the lot and say "damn man, i gotta do this and that, here stick them on, and there, done.."

- hey thanks, man..
- yea whatever.. blablablabla...

it's almost like you were there!!

By the way; they installed brand new heat shields. Not sure where they came from, but they are mine now.

I still have to follow up with the service manager... I have to ask him if there is any reason that I hsould even consider taking my Jeep there for future service.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where exactly are the heat shields in those photos. i have no idea what you guys are talking about lol. cirlce em or something. thanks!

2003KJ

Reaction score
fasto82 said:
where exactly are the heat shields in those photos. i have no idea what you guys are talking about lol. cirlce em or something. thanks!

Here ya go...

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Members online