Amsoil Dual Remote Oil Bypass System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a remote oil filter on my XJ with a 4.0l, and my MJ that I put a buick 3800 v6 in (It's an 86, came with 2.8l)

Love it. very convenient for access during oil changes, and higher fluid capacity and cooling.

That said, I fail to see how it promotes longer life, aside from the obviousness of cooling the oil.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and now you've got me hell-bent on doing this to every KJ I touch lol. checking pricing, I have found dual filter kits for $70. bolt-on. There's a nice spot behind the front bumper support that it could mount up.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

Had a 94 GMC Jimmy that had an OEM remote mounted oil filter and that was convenient.

Dave

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 93 S10 Blazer had the same thing in it, Dave...very convenient for sure. This would be very nice to have, but don't know if $250+ is worth a little bit of convenience.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a remote oil filter on my XJ with a 4.0l, and my MJ that I put a buick 3800 v6 in (It's an 86, came with 2.8l)

Love it. very convenient for access during oil changes, and higher fluid capacity and cooling.

That said, I fail to see how it promotes longer life, aside from the obviousness of cooling the oil.

Agree.

My 93 S10 Blazer had the same thing in it, Dave...very convenient for sure. This would be very nice to have, but don't know if $250+ is worth a little bit of convenience.

Yeah, $250 is a lot for that convenience.

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
and now you've got me hell-bent on doing this to every KJ I touch lol. checking pricing, I have found dual filter kits for $70. bolt-on. There's a nice spot behind the front bumper support that it could mount up.

Where did you find them for $70?

Dave

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty interesting. I'd like to have one on mine XD would be lot easy to swap the oil filter thanks to the HD towing package.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just google remote oil filter. plenty of cheap kits out there. Can't speak for their quality, but really there isn't much to fail.

Torx

Reaction score

From what I've read, the idea of the added by-pass filter is that it will help to clean out more of the smaller particles in the oil. With less crap in the oil you can do extended oil change intervals and the engine will last longer because of less particles grinding away in the engine.

Here is a very good demo of it.

AMSOIL Bypass Demo - YouTube

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you read the very small fine print on Fram and I assume other oil filter manufacturer's sites, their "high" efficiency rating is rated for contaminants that are larger than 20 microns. As OP stated, AMSOIL's kit is rated at a very high efficiency but that is for 2 microns. Those smaller contaminants are the ones that most damaging to your engines life.

jimbrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you installed it? How many miles do you plan on going between oil changes?

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you read the very small fine print on Fram and I assume other oil filter manufacturer's sites, their "high" efficiency rating is rated for contaminants that are larger than 20 microns. As OP stated, AMSOIL's kit is rated at a very high efficiency but that is for 2 microns. Those smaller contaminants are the ones that most damaging to your engines life.

The bypass kit itself doesn't really matter on brand. you can get any brand oil filter you wish to put on it.

I only run 4 different types of oil filters...
Mopar
Wix
Purolator
Parts Master

In that order. The Wix, Purolator, and Parts Master are made by the same company, and identical internally.

Fram and K&N do NOT filter microns worth a crap, the paper elements constantly break down and wear down, and they are just plain garbage. Bought an xj with one that was actually clogged so bad from the paper element collapsing that it had zero oil pressure.