Amp Gain & Bass EQ settings...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amp = 40W RMS
Speaker = 60W RMS

Right now on my amp I have the gain level set to “Normal” and my Bass EQ on “+6” (half way on both). I’m able to crank my volume up to 94% without distortions; any higher I can hear the lows get a little fuzzy. I’d like to be able to blast my music as loud as possible so I don't want to really turn the input gain down. Would turning my Bass EQ down help me be able to crank my volume to 100% with less distortion?

I know I should have matched the amp and speakers' power, but the Alpine is all I could find that would fit under the driver seat.

kolesy

Reaction score
You have to take into account which frequencies are distorting. Is it your highs, mids, or your lows? Generally the lows usually distort at high volumes especially if you are talking about your component speakers and not your subs. If you turn your bass down it will sound clearer at high volumes but the full range of sound wont be there like before. And you dont need to match up amp wattage with speaker suggested RMS. just do not exceed the speaker RMS wattage when picking out an amp.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing they are the lows to my 2-way speakers. Rap and Metal distort, but rock and other types of music do not. I just figured if I take the bass boost down a notch, things may sound a little clearer.
As for matching the wattage, I just read into the recommendations and advice of online car stereo vendors and they always recommend "75%-110%" of RMS power. (dunno)