Amateur Questions about Lifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonkinson

Reaction score
I want to learn how to fix/mod cars as a hobby. I know it's harder than what you see on tv. I have an 06 Liberty (limited) and I am considering lifting it at most 3''. I just have a few questions before I take the plunge.

1. How hard are they to install? I am real mechanically oriented but don't have any experience with cars (i have friends though that do)

2. Which is a good lift for a somewhat couple miles a day driver and maybe off roading couple times a year? I've heard that the frankenlift is good, but many ppl are loyal to the Rusty's. I've been looking at the Rough Country and the Trailermasters too. I want 2.5 3in lift and don't wanna spend more than 400. Recommendations? opinions?

I am pretty much asking you guys like what to watch out for what is the best kit to get. What's the best for the price. I am not gonna be beating the jeep to death just want to lift it and eventually put on some new tires.

I am only 17 and I am paying for it but it's like a shared car between my brother at college so I don't want to run into problems a year down the line and have no money to fix it. Also is there any advantages because my mom paid for the car (yea spoiled sorta) I have to convince her were not going to have problems

Sorry for the length and the disorganized it's late and I am new here. Please feel free to give me any sort of advice i'd be much appreciated thanks :)

wildrussian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, here is my input on the whole thing.
1. They are not hard to install, on the scale from 1 to 10 I would give it 6. You can check in Tech section and you will see instructions on how to install Frankenlift. Not hard at all.

2. They say Frankenlift is the best. People had problems with Roughcountry lifts. I haven't heard anything about the Trailmaster one. I have Rustys and after I worked all the kinks out of it, its great. Im pretty happy with it. I did have a problem where it was leaning to one side a little more but I think it evened out now.

As for problems I think it all depends on the lift and how you use your jeep after you get it. If you get a spacer lift instead of the suspesion lift you might be prone to more problems. Thats just my opinion. There are a lot of guys on here and on www.lostkjs.com that will be glad to answer any other questions that you have. :D

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my questions/input:

1.) Installation is not hard, rather time consuming when you do it right. Free up a few hours to get the job done properly and make sure you do it during store hours of AutoZone/Murrays, etc... just in case you have to run to get something. If you do a coil lift the hardest part is removing the struts from the coils. I took mine to Murray's auto store and $30 bucks later they swapped out my struts (they have a spring compressor). 15 minute job and less dangerous than doing it yourself (if you rent a spring compressor).

2.) If you don't want to spend more than $400 then your not going to find a coil lift like the FrankenLift ($700+), Rusty ($450+ without getting the better shocks/struts), BDS ($450+ but its only a 2" lift), etc... Many folks opt for the Rustys lift and add on the OME shocks/struts which are rated higher than the Rancho RSX shocks/struts that come with the kit.

QUESTION:
Why do you want a 2.5/3" lift for a couple off-road trips a year. Unless you plan on taking it to the Moab and/or rock crawling you may be better off just doing a smaller lift. Start by picking up all the under body skid plates and make sure you have a hitch/hook in the rear and some hooks up front. These are critical whether or not your lifted or not when you wanna go off-road. The KJ is extremely capable of going off on the beaten path while stock, and performs considerably high as long as you protect your under belly (skids).

Atrus (Kevin) recently setup a cheap .75" lift with some isolators and such. It lifts it real nicely and is inexpensive. He will easily be able to shove some 245/70's or 245/75 (with some modding) in the wheel wells. Many folks with lifts run 245/75r16 with their 2.5" setup.
Kevins Easy Lift

If your sharing your KJ just remember that both parties should feel comfortable with driving it. You will notice a reduction in gas mileage, and more wear and tear on the stock parts. If you go 2.5" you may need to buy Upper A-Arms to reduce and/or remove rubbing on the ball joint. Although many people have had no problems, there are many (including myself) that ran into the ball joint rubbing issues.

Good luck with your decision and I am sure others will chime in.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If I were you I would go with OME medium duty springs from Rustys or AllJs, rancho struts and shocks from say Summit Racing you will have about the same amount of money as Rustys but MUCH improved over Rustys, then have a lift party and that way you can help and learn at the same time. If you were or are anywhere close to Toledo (Ohio) then come on down and we can get it together for you! LOL
Tom

tonkinson

Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful responses obviously there is a lot i don't know especially about purchasing the equipment and the consequences of cutting corners money wise. I am either gonna wait until I have more money in my pocket or just bag it all together. I've been floating around the idea and it was either upgrading my jeep or maybe buying a coupe to fiddle around with. I am a high schooler with money and burning a hole in my pockets I am sure some of you know what I am saying.

DryBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
start with the skids and tow hooks. sooner or later you will have to add them so might as well do that first. at least thats what I am going to do! icon996.gif