Air Conditioner makes a pretty good heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming back from Reno yesterday and thinking my air conditioner isn't blowing as cool as it used to. Then I noticed it kept blowing even less cool air and before long, it wasn't even cool air, it was more warm air. It's late afternoon, still pretty warm outside, but I opened driver and passenger windows and the outside air seemed cooler than the air coming from my A/C.

As I got closer to the state line, I began to smell something odd. I wasn't sure what it was, but it did smell like something burning. Not plastic, but something with a strange odor. Maybe it could be the remnants of a forest/brush fire, which we've had plenty of. So, as I pulled into the agri-inspection station, I asked the officer on duty if there was a fire nearby, or was my Jeep smoking. She didn't seem to know, but she did say she couldn't see any smoke coming from my "car." Well see, right there it's obvious she's just another gov'ment clueless hack... car, yeah right.

When I got home, I popped the hood and saw what looked like something black and wet right around the compressor. I poked at it gently with my finger, expecting it to burn the shit outa me, but it was dry. Well, not regular dry, but almost a sticky dry. It almost looks like someone spritzed a little black spray paint. But there was no transfer to my finger and it wasn't hot at all.

I went to my mechanic this morning and he took about 20 seconds to determine I need a new A/C compressor. Said it didn't look like I lost any fluid, but the belt is also a bit worn and has a small chunk or chip out of the edge (maybe more, but he didn't turn the belt to see the rest of it), so I should also order a new belt. He says he has any o-rings and gaskets that might be necessary.

There's several choices for compressors. Any recommendations? What about a condenser? He said I didn't really need one, but, of course, all the parts places want you to buy a condenser too, so I don't feel like I'm getting an unbiased opinion there. What do you think? I haven't placed any orders yet, but I'm anxious to get this fixed and I want to do it right.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you saw is typical sign of the compressor fizzing out. happened to mine as well.

compressor - denso.

Compressor warranty will require parts to be changed, condenser not required typically.

You'll need the low side line w/ the orifice tube in it and an accumulator as well.

I take it your mechanic will have the appropriate refrigerant oil?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Last edited:

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know the compressor and clutch assembly was sold separately. I've only been looking at compressors that include the clutch assembly. Like this one: Brand New Premium Quality AC Compressor & A/C Clutch For Jeep Liberty 3.7L

I chose that one (I haven't ordered anything yet) because it had all metal parts instead of a lot of plastic.

I haven't read any recommendations about getting the "low side line w/ the orifice tube in it and an accumulator." uss2defiant, why are you recommending those parts? My mechanic never mentioned them either, so I'm curious.

Thanks all.

Jim

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ymmv

compressor warranty will require parts to be changed, condenser not required typically.

also there is desiccant in the dryer so once the system is open it can become very quickly saturated from humidity in the air.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't know the compressor and clutch assembly was sold separately. I've only been looking at compressors that include the clutch assembly. Like this one: Brand New Premium Quality AC Compressor & A/C Clutch For Jeep Liberty 3.7L

I chose that one (I haven't ordered anything yet) because it had all metal parts instead of a lot of plastic.

I haven't read any recommendations about getting the "low side line w/ the orifice tube in it and an accumulator." uss2defiant, why are you recommending those parts? My mechanic never mentioned them either, so I'm curious.

Thanks all.

Jim

I'd get a Denso one.

And the low side line and the orifice tube and accumulator are just things you have to replace when you open up the system. Not sure why, but I think it's a jailable offense to not.:gr_grin:

I'd ask the mechanic about the clutch. That doesn't require opening up the system. Guess to isolate it you could take the belt off and then see if the noise happens when the compressor spins or when the clutch spins. I think that'd work. It does in my brain anyway. :happy175:

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lot easier & cheaper to just replace the clutch assembly if that's what's bad . I had a clutch failure & black sticky stuff dripped out .