AEV Alloy Wheels on the way!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GiveMeLiberty

Reaction score
Finally, I found some nice wheels for the KJ!
American Expedition Vehicles makes a 16x8 with 4.6" backspace to fit perfectly on the KJ.
Now all I have to do is wait...

Here are the "Before" pictures:

You must be registered for see images

And the wheels soon going on with "blacks out":

Yeah baby!

2003KJ

Reaction score
I just noticed you have the adhesive style vent shades, I was looking at getting a set for my Jeep (my friend at napa can get me a killer deal on them). How do you like them vs. the in-channel? I'd really like the in-channel but they're between $75 and $100 depending on where you look, and I can't bring myself to shell out that much.

GiveMeLiberty

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks. I can hardly wait to get the wheels on! They ran $970 for 5 wheels with shipping.

As for the vent-shades, I bought them from the dealer. By the way, just ask for a discount and they will give one to you. I have yet to pay anywhere near list price on any Jeep accessory. I like the look of the in-channel vents like on my VW Jetta TDI but they cause the window to bind tight and scratch the last 1/4" or so when you close the window. The stick-ons don't look as nice but they are a bit more functional and cause no damage to the window or the paint.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GiveMeLiberty said:
Yeah, thanks. I can hardly wait to get the wheels on! They ran $970 for 5 wheels with shipping.

HOLY SH*(&#$#$(*&%T Thats a hell of a lot of cash for wheels.

GiveMeLiberty

Reaction score
AEV Wheels final on the KJ!

The AEV wheels are finally on the KJ! Here are the "after" pics:

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had my eye on those wheels for a long time!

Looks Awesome!!

My next set of wheels will definetly be AEV.

Out of curiosity what was the shipping weight of one wheel?

Thanks,
Bennett

GiveMeLiberty

Reaction score
The shipping weight was 26 lbs per wheel. When I got back from the tire shop and took my stock wheels out of the back of the KJ, I was very surprised how light they are. The AEV wheels are much better built and are made in the USA, not in China like the stockers.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weight should not be used as a way to denote wheel quality. There are many reason for having wheels of different weights; the main reason being dirrent performance characteristics.

GiveMeLiberty

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I didn't say it very well.

When I looked over both wheels, I was surprised at the stock wheels lack thickness and bridging for lateral torque. In comparison, the AEV wheels have significant depth in the spokes with heavy structural bridging which in my estimation would make the wheel significantly stronger. The castings, machining and painting appear to be very high quality.

It looks like the design is manufactured exclusively for American Expedition Vehicles, based on the cast-in name plating inside the spokes. The boxes they came in are printed Factory Reproductions Inc, a large wheel manufacturer out of California.

Anyway, I'm happy with them and they look like they will work good.

cameoex

Reaction score
Did the new wheels help with the rubbing on the swaybar at all? Make it worse? After seeing the pics I am seriously looking at these wheels.

GiveMeLiberty

Reaction score
I haven't noticed any rubbing on the sway bar. I get a little tread buz on the plastic fender cover on the pinch weld and in front of the wheel. I did some minor trimming in front, down by the little black air dam. Other than that, I LOVE 'EM! I just waxed them up tonight and they are really nice. Very impressed with them. Lots of heads turning now as I drive by. Some guys even icon996.gif . Kind of strange cuz I haven't had that happen since I had my trick '02 Camaro SS 1LE.

GiveMeLiberty

Reaction score
Just in case you guys were wondering, the wheels are backed up pretty well:

Also, just so you know the wheels do have a lifetime structural warranty on them. We built them extra HD so that even the TJ guys couldn't break them...

David Harriton
American Expedition Vehicles

Thanks, Dave!

mapco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where can I buy these? I looked on the AEV website but they closed the store..

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GiveMeLiberty said:
Just in case you guys were wondering, the wheels are backed up pretty well:

Also, just so you know the wheels do have a lifetime structural warranty on them. We built them extra HD so that even the TJ guys couldn't break them...

David Harriton
American Expedition Vehicles

Thanks, Dave!

Broken Wheels?!?!?!? Never seen that happen. :-s