advice on what to check

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that there is a bump/clunk sound that comes from the rear when letting off the gas,(not very loud) it does not do it when hitting the gas or costing, just when letting off of gas, it does not do it when shifting gears, so probably not transmission, only happens when releasing the gas, and the sound comes from behind the driver’s seat,

Have removed front drive shaft, sound remains

Did both differentials and transfer case fluids 3k ago?

Any advice on What to check first, and How to check for the problems would be appreciated

thanks again

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
upper ball joint in rear,there are some detailed threads here somewhere.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be the rear universal that has a little drive line slack. If so, it is nothing to worry about. (it will be a "clunk" noise if that is what it is)

Dave

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the rear universal that has a little drive line slack. If so, it is nothing to worry about. (it will be a "clunk" noise if that is what it is)

Dave

Yes it is a clunk
and it makes sense to be the U joint since it happens when I take my foot off the gas at speeds of 25+

Thanks for all the reply's

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed mine sometimes makes a clunk when it shifts into second gear.Or if I let off the gas, just after it shifts into second. I am thinking it's a worn U joint. If it gets any worse, I'll guess I'll just have to replace it. Looks like a real pain in the ass!

Latest posts

Members online