Adding/wiring in new blinkers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can this be done? I just saw a truck on the way to work yesterday that had a band of lights along the bottom of the tail gate and they were wired to be blinkers and stop lights--how difficult would it be to do something like this, any ideas?

Mopar4L1fe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can this be done? I just saw a truck on the way to work yesterday that had a band of lights along the bottom of the tail gate and they were wired to be blinkers and stop lights--how difficult would it be to do something like this, any ideas?

If your KJ has a tow hitch with a harness you could probably just tap into the wiring harness and just add some lights or leds along the bottom of your bumper.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what they sell, line of LED lights you stick to the tailgate or rear bumper and according to signal left half or right half light up..
I would rather have them on the left and right front fenders instead, maybe just 3 of them instead of whole line of them.

Mopar4L1fe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy these online.... they're called Fire and Ice light bars or Line of Fire.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
They are easy to hook up anyway. You have enough room to splice into your harness behind the lights, however. It would be easier to buy the Tow hitch lighting harness, so you can just wire that right to the light bar. The good harnesses are plug-n-play. Your harnesses for the tail lamps plugs into the tow hitch harness, and it back into the lighting, with the other set of wires TO the trailer lighting area.

You only need ONE ground for all, if you wire them manually too.

So, you have a LEFT, RIGHT, and BRAKE wire inputs for the bar. L/T - Those come from the existing rear tail light signal wires, and pick any side for the brake light. Wire them to the light bar, L/R and brake, then the light bars ground, to ground... It's quite simple, I do this sort of stuff all the time...

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't have tow group then wiring harness is buried underneath the trim, you would have take a good chunk of it apart.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
If you don't have tow group then wiring harness is buried underneath the trim, you would have take a good chunk of it apart.

They do make a P-n-P after market harness, that use the existing light sockets in the lenses. I got one for my dodge when I had it, and I have one for a Ford Aerostar.

Here are some harnesses, factory I trhink:
http://www.leeparts.com/jeep_liberty/accessories/towing/7_way_round_trailer_tow_wiring_harness.html

http://www.jeepworld.com/accessories/liberty/hitch.htm

This was posted here, a guide to wiring toe lighting: http://www.etrailer.com/faq_wiring.aspx

Here is where the factory harness is: http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82207290.pdf
This is where a factory hook up one goes.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was thinking of a couple things, one just putting some running lights up on the roof like some of the bigger pickups have, or putting the big line blinkers along the back bumper like was mentioned earlier. I do have the tow package and the wiring harness (if that's what you want to call it) but my problem would be figuring out a way to get it up to the roof if I did do the top lights. Bumper I could handle. =]

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Powerslave.. when the life giver dies, all around is laid waste, and in my last hour, I'm a slave to the power of death..
You must be registered for see images

(Sorry, I could not resist!)

Anyway, $138.00 is a bit too much for our gal to get some lights up her rear bumper. :p

Well I was thinking of a couple things, one just putting some running lights up on the roof like some of the bigger pickups have, or putting the big line blinkers along the back bumper like was mentioned earlier. I do have the tow package and the wiring harness (if that's what you want to call it) but my problem would be figuring out a way to get it up to the roof if I did do the top lights. Bumper I could handle. =]

Be careful, a lot of red lights might be against local laws, check before mount lights, especially ones that are visible from sides, or on the roof...

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Tell me why I had to be a Powerslave; I don't wanna die, I'm a God, Why can't I live on?

It's a good tune, and, I have always had a fascination with Ancient Egypt. It is about the demise of an Egyptian pharaoh, though doesn't specify which one, but we can assume it's basically ALL their basic story. They all grow up to GOD like status, rule, then die for someone to take their place. Did you know there was a GAME called "PowerSlave"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhumed_(video_game)

Be careful, a lot of red lights might be against local laws, check before mount lights, especially ones that are visible from sides, or on the roof...

Red lights are against the law when placed UP FRONT for sure. They can only be used as brake or signal lamps in back. However, here in PA, if the car didn't come with them, you can't ADD them... I had red LED lights as brake and signal lamps that I added, I was ticketed and fined for it. I hate Pennsylvania too... So much more going on out there, and they want to bust your balls for adding what they call "Decorative Ornamentation" to your car, to make it so much more visible to other idiot drivers. Here in PA, you can't add ANYTHING to the car, period. They are also supposed to FAIL you for inspection if you have stuff added on... Meanwhile, SEMIs and MOTORCYCLES can practically look like a Christmas tree riding down the road, but not passenger vehicles.

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, Wikipedia had a lot of info, I didn't know the album was recorded in Bahamas! One of the first albums I bought.. My wife also likes these ancient Egyptian stuff, she thinks she is reincarnation of some Egyptian queen or whatever they were called, like nefertiti... :rolleyes: yeah, right.. and I am Thor, god of thunder. :D Anyway, Egypt It is one of the places everyone should see once in their life.

I guess Semis are too big and need to be seen so you can avoid them, same thing for bikes, they are too small and they also need to be seen so you can slap anything you want on them. It is odd that you can't add anything on passenger vehicles, but do jeeps count as pass vehicles?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, Wikipedia had a lot of info, I didn't know the album was recorded in Bahamas! One of the first albums I bought.. My wife also likes these ancient Egyptian stuff, she thinks she is reincarnation of some Egyptian queen or whatever they were called, like nefertiti... :rolleyes: yeah, right.. and I am Thor, god of thunder. :D Anyway, Egypt It is one of the places everyone should see once in their life.

I guess Semis are too big and need to be seen so you can avoid them, same thing for bikes, they are too small and they also need to be seen so you can slap anything you want on them. It is odd that you can't add anything on passenger vehicles, but do jeeps count as pass vehicles?

Hyed....didn't you know that all women are reincarnations of ancient egyptian queens and us men are the reincarnations of their jewel polishers and toe nail groomer slaves.

So when it comes to lighting up your KJ you will just end up with a bunch of tickets or something with lights in the wrong places. But if you join the volunteer fire company you can have a flashing light while you are helping out the community to boot.

Dave

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I have an 06, with the clear signal lamp lenses. All I did for now, was use Red LED signal lamps in them, and they look good.

I want to get white ones for the front, since the lens is amber; but no local stores have powerful enough White LEDs that can be SEEN well during the day. I got them for my Motorcycle, for up front, and they are hard to see in the day when it's nice and sunny.

There is a place on-line that sells up 2-watt luxor LEDs, and they are bright. The red ones I bought for the REAR signals have one center 1-watt Luxor LED, and four surrounding smaller LEDs. This is a parking/signal lamp (xx57 not xx56). So, I just placed a jumper on the bulb socket wires (links the two together) so both the four outers, and center one comes on with the signals; NICE AND BRIGHT RED, behind the clear lens.

I have been stopped or fined for:
Neon license Plate frame (fined)
License plate plastic COVER (warned) - had to remove on the spot
Rear Deck (inside the car) Neon Red/White/Blue light (fined)
Flashing center tail lamp (when brake is on) (fined)
Stick on LEDs on the rear windshield (RED) for signal and brake (fined)
Glowing blueish rings inside the headlamps (go around the bulb) (warned)
White rear side markers attached to the rear lenses (warned)
White front side markers, attached to front signal lamp lenses (warned)
Flashing rear white side markers, only when lights were off (Relay controlled) (warned)
Music too loud (fined)
Muffler not OEM - too loud (fined)

Of course, 75% these were all fines handed down because I was speeding, and, they could not fine me for that, because I had a radar detector in the car. What's that have to do with anything, you ask? Only STATE TROOPERS in PA, are allowed to use radar/laser for speed traps. If a local, municipal, or city cop uses Laser/Radar, basically ANYTHING else except vascar, it is illegal, and inadmissible in court. I have gotten way with FOUR speeding tickets, going WELL over 90Mph (Avenger). When they saw the radar detector in the window, they (local cops) get nasty, and give me a WARNING. Well, too many of THOSE warnings lead to them looking the car over, which lead to the other no point violation fines. I got also warnings, and fines for having a radar detector, or satellite radio receiver, and/or GPS suction-cupped to the window. I beat them, because the traffic law says specifically, that an item may not "materially obstruct the view" of the road. Well, hell, some windshield wipers at REST are a material obstruction. PA state Inspection & Emission window stickers are a Material Obstruction! So, everything I have, is now mounted at the wiper blade/sticker level, and no more lighting and other ******-bag cop corralling stuff. Also, if you mount it to the DASHBOARD, it is more acceptable... Bunch of crap here in PA, huh?

There is no LAW about intake noise, or I would have been fined for that too, on the Avenger.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
My wife also likes these ancient Egyptian stuff, she thinks she is reincarnation of some Egyptian queen or whatever they were called, like nefertiti... :rolleyes: yeah, right.. and I am Thor, god of thunder.

I have a really good joke about a chick with a lisp and Thor!:D
But it would get yanked off of here PDQ!
So, I'll refrain from posting it!

I have an 06, with the clear signal lamp lenses. All I did for now, was use Red LED signal lamps in them, and they look good.

I want to get white ones for the front, since the lens is amber; but no local stores have powerful enough White LEDs that can be SEEN well during the day. I got them for my Motorcycle, for up front, and they are hard to see in the day when it's nice and sunny.

There is a place on-line that sells up 2-watt luxor LEDs, and they are bright. The red ones I bought for the REAR signals have one center 1-watt Luxor LED, and four surrounding smaller LEDs. This is a parking/signal lamp (xx57 not xx56). So, I just placed a jumper on the bulb socket wires (links the two together) so both the four outers, and center one comes on with the signals; NICE AND BRIGHT RED, behind the clear lens.

I have been stopped or fined for:
Neon license Plate frame (fined)
License plate plastic COVER (warned) - had to remove on the spot
Rear Deck (inside the car) Neon Red/White/Blue light (fined)
Flashing center tail lamp (when brake is on) (fined)
Stick on LEDs on the rear windshield (RED) for signal and brake (fined)
Glowing blueish rings inside the headlamps (go around the bulb) (warned)
White rear side markers attached to the rear lenses (warned)
White front side markers, attached to front signal lamp lenses (warned)
Flashing rear white side markers, only when lights were off (Relay controlled) (warned)
Music too loud (fined)
Muffler not OEM - too loud (fined)

Of course, 75% these were all fines handed down because I was speeding, and, they could not fine me for that, because I had a radar detector in the car. What's that have to do with anything, you ask? Only STATE TROOPERS in PA, are allowed to use radar/laser for speed traps. If a local, municipal, or city cop uses Laser/Radar, basically ANYTHING else except vascar, it is illegal, and inadmissible in court. I have gotten way with FOUR speeding tickets, going WELL over 90Mph (Avenger). When they saw the radar detector in the window, they (local cops) get nasty, and give me a WARNING. Well, too many of THOSE warnings lead to them looking the car over, which lead to the other no point violation fines. I got also warnings, and fines for having a radar detector, or satellite radio receiver, and/or GPS suction-cupped to the window. I beat them, because the traffic law says specifically, that an item may not "materially obstruct the view" of the road. Well, hell, some windshield wipers at REST are a material obstruction. PA state Inspection & Emission window stickers are a Material Obstruction! So, everything I have, is now mounted at the wiper blade/sticker level, and no more lighting and other ******-bag cop corralling stuff. Also, if you mount it to the DASHBOARD, it is more acceptable... Bunch of crap here in PA, huh?

There is no LAW about intake noise, or I would have been fined for that too, on the Avenger.

Wow! I thought I was the only one who's been F***ed by the cops for lighting issues!