Adding courtesy lights and a dome light over the rear seat.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find what I was looking for in the How To section. To add a courtesy light do I just need a bulb? Is everything else there? How does the dome light over the rear seat attach? Is it like the dome light in the trunk? I'm going to assume the 04's don't have anyting underneath the headliner for the light to attach to. Anyone have any ideas on installing one? I need to be able to take it out incase I need to replace a bulb.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...it is presently sitting in my computer desk waiting for me to install it. It will probably be there for some time to come as I now have a 105 year old house and a new baby to contend with.

Free time?

Whats that?

](*,)

-Blu

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe people usually wire it into the rear over head light. If i ever did it, i would put a relay in so i didnt take so much power from the bcm. Some people think it may overload it, but bennett wired it right to it and it didnt hurt it. Relay is the best bet.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
I was going to use a relay and there's huge discussion we had over this on JU years ago and the reason I didn't use a relay was because it would "chatter" and create EMI noise from the dimming effect. EMI noise is the enemy of any solid state controller. Which could actually cause more problems than just hard wiring it in. So I elected to directly wire it in.... I grabbed my power from the lower passenger foot well.

No problems with the BCM and its been over a year now or more, since I did the mod.

Bennett

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Light

I finally got around to doing it. There was a flat spot in my liner, in the cargo area above the rear seats about a foot in front of the the cargo lamp. I went by the dealer and that's where the light is on the 05-05's. My Jeep was built late in the 04 build year. I'm not sure if all the headliners are like mine.

So I cut the hole and ran the juice from the cigarette lighter port. It works great, but I'm thinking about running it off the rear light so the dim function will work. Also the wires are flapping around a rattling under the headliner. I may try to redo it tomorrow, if not it may be a while before I get the chance. I'll do a write up and post pics in the how to.