Adding 2002 Steering wheel Controls to a 2005

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElecTape

Reaction score
Just have some quick questions.

Luckily I was at my buddy's Junkyard today looking for a couple of Visor clips and I ran into a 2002 Liberty Limited that had the steering wheel audio controls. I decided to pull the following:

• Rear Housing trim
  • Left & Right Audio Buttons
  • Harness
  • Both Cruise Button sets.

My Clock spring has the correct number of pins for both harness, I noticed though that my Cruise buttons have 3 wires and the 2002 has 2 wires.

So I assume for this to work I will need to use the 2002 Cruise switches?

Or do I need to strip the wire and pins from the 2005 harness and add it to the 2002 harness which is missing this particular wire? To use the 2005 Cruise buttons?

Any thoughts.

ElecTape

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help gang. Got it figured out! YEAH!

The links above were great!

I also stumbled across this old thread too:

HOW TO: Install Steeringwheel radio controls on your Liberty | Jeep KJ and KK Liberty Forum

So let me answer my questions from above:

What did I actually need from the 2002 Liberty:

• Rear Housing trim
  • Left & Right Audio Buttons
  • Harness
  • The 2002 Cruise Buttons

My 2005 Clock spring has the correct number of pins for both harness.

I had to change the cruise buttons to the 2002.

Once you remove your steering wheel (Don't allow your clock spring to spin) change out the rear housing with the one that is cut or you can trim yours. Use the 2002 harness and buttons. You will not use your existing buttons or harness from your 2005. Reassemble everything.

You should be good to go.

Last edited: