AC Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J2.actual

Reaction score
So my '05 Sport has been blowing semi-cold air recently.

I took it to the shop to have it refilled and leak checked and they were telling me there was a possible leak at the compressor.

Then they informed me that I would need to replace the compressor, the condenser and the drier because metal shavings recontaminating the new parts. Is this true?

He then went on to tell me that this whole fiasco would cost me roughly 1200.00

Someone please tell me how easy or hard it is to replace these parts and if I even need to replace all the parts he talked about. Thanks!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Possible. But I'd get it discharged and then do the work yourself, then get it charged.

You do have to replace the drier anytime you do work on the system, idk about the condenser.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is very possible, but not always the case. AC is one thing that can get pretty expensive pretty quick.

I can't guarantee you the parts need replaced without looking, but it is likely. The drier is a must, and if your compressor went bad it's likely the others are musts as well.
But one thing I will advise is look at the shops volume of cars coming in.. If it's high compared to other shops, it's less likely that he'd try to scam you.
Not always true, but typically it will be a slow shop trying to add on labor hours and parts.

As for replacing them, not hard, but if you don't have much mechanical experience you may run into a few snags. But the main thing is, if it's not completely empty of R134a then I'd advise you have it evacuated first. I see plenty of cracked condenser cases where the system still has .5 lb of refrigerant left in it.
Kind of job that do you want confidence knowing it's all correct, or do you want to save a couple hundred bucks and do it yourself and hope it turns out correctly.
If you do decide to do it yourself, I'd advise at least having a shop recharge it so that they can test to make sure it's not leaking at all. If it does, you'll likely be doing this job a second time.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it's just a leak from the compressor and there's no grinding noise then you're good.
can just change the compressor, dryer, orifice line.
Highly recommend a good AC compressor like denso especially down here in AZ.
You'll need the o-ring kit and oil as well.

Best to get the shop to evac and refill.
Unless you know the system is fully empty of refrigerant then you could do it all yourself. Can get vacuum pump on the LAP loaner tool.
buy your own R134a.

too bad you're not down here.

I typically let the shop deal w/ the evac and refill. They also check my work. :D

J2.actual

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the quick response.

From what you guys have said, I will be having the shop evac the system and then doing the replacement work myself.

There's no grinding sound from the compressor, just a little bit of wetness from what they've told me.

They have a pretty good volume of customers but I feel confident in my mechanic abilities. It's just the HEAT that I'm dreading. I have no garage and it's all under a metal awning when I want to work on the Jeep.

So I'll.. purchase parts, have the shop evac the system, remove and replace, have shop refill system w/ leak check.

Thank you for letting me know of a good brand to go with as well as the o-ring kit I will be needing. This is all a huge help.

Is there a how-to I could read that anyone recommends?

Thanks again guys.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no garage? been there done that. just wake up super early.

could just watch some general YT video but it's pretty straight forward.

Last edited:

dougmac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to add oil for each of the components that you replace to replace the oil that is in each component. The service manual will give the amount that you need add.

Accumulator- 3oz
Condenser - 0.75oz

If you decide to change the compressor, It can be a little tricky because they sometimes come with oil in them. You have to drain the oil in the new compressor so you can put the correct amount back in.

Drain the old compressor and measure the amount of oil removed from the old compressor. With the new compressor drained of any oil that came in it, add back the same amount that was drained from the old compressor.

J2.actual

Reaction score
You need to add oil for each of the components that you replace to replace the oil that is in each component. The service manual will give the amount that you need add.

Accumulator- 3oz
Condenser - 0.75oz

If you decide to change the compressor, It can be a little tricky because they sometimes come with oil in them. You have to drain the oil in the new compressor so you can put the correct amount back in.

Drain the old compressor and measure the amount of oil removed from the old compressor. With the new compressor drained of any oil that came in it, add back the same amount that was drained from the old compressor.

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

Members online

No members online now.