AC pulley bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My AC pulley clutch grinded and caught smoke while driving. What's the belt length spec for bypassing the AC pulley with 76mm tensioner?

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone resurrected the AC bypass thread about 6 or so threads down. Has all the info you'd need.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Saw that (after posting), good info there! Got the belt and rental tools from autozone.

I managed to remove the AC clutch plate, then the snap ring (hard without a proper tool) but then the damn AC pulley won't come out, I tried with the autozone pulley puller, tried hammering it from the back... it budges but won't pull out.. am I missing something? Any tips to get this damn thing out?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PB Blaster & 3 legged pulley puller. slowly pull it off.

tap it back on spray it n pull it off little by little back & forth without damaging anything.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the grind and heat pretty much destroyed the coil and bearing anyways. I'll probably get new AC clutch assembly.

The 13mm nut , snap ring and clutch spacer all fell in the engine bay during the uninstall and nowhere to be found. :( [emoji47]

I fitted the bypassing short belt. Seems like there considerable wobble under the bypassed pulley when motor is running. Everything is in place securely. Possibly because of the relatively large distance. Is it normal? The tensioner is brand new. Belt is 83” with six ribs.

You must be registered for see images attach

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its up to you if you want new parts. Clean it up with a new bearing and its good to go.

You know the missing parts are in the sludge on the engine rock guard right? lol

anyways that magnet needs to be secured in case it decides to come off to say hello to the radiator.

Nice pics! Good Luck!

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea the snap ring is still on so it's secure... Waiting for the snap ring pliers to come from Amazon so I can remove it..

@J33PFan-
Do you think the coil is still operable??

Coz getting a new bearing is 10$, new clutch and coil and all is 50$, so saving some $$$ is not something I'm against, especially after replacing the tensioner and belt for no good reason (another 60$)..

Also I guess I need to remove the engine skid plate (just put it on two weeks ago) to find all the parts.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't read a reason why it would be bad.
Start the engine put AC on and see if it's magnetized.. also unplug it and put an ohm meter on it.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you getting the bearing and clutch for $50? I was looking at a bearing, clutch, coil and pulley kit for about $110 on Amazon..

I still need to tear mine down further; my bearing seized and crapped out, so getting it all apart has been rough.